I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Colors that work well together?
Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 01:58AM

I don't suppose anyone has composed a list of thread colors that work well together? I am handicapped to begin with, since I suffer from color blindness. Ergo, I have a tough time putting colors together for crosswraps, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 02:07AM by Bobby Newsom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colors that work well together?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 06:52AM

Almost any color goes with any other color, it depends how you put them together in the wrap. COntrasting, complimentary - google color wheel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2009 08:31AM

Begin noticing the world around you - the colors used in ad campaigns on billboards by the roadside. What colors are used on golf bags. What colors major companies use in their company logos. This way, you're benefitting from the work of very talented commercial artists.

Karen Campbell does a seminar at the Expo on color combinations - she uses nature's own combinations such as the colors that occur on certain fish species, etc. Nature doesn't make mistakes - most of its color combinations are well done.

Posted by: Karen Campbell (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 08:59AM

What color is your blank? I believe that is your first color, then choose guides, and finally thread colors. If you are going to go bass fishing, look through your fishing magazines to find a photo of a fish. Examine all of the colors on the body and try choosing colors seen there. Same with big game fishing - blue marlins have several colors on their bodies: light and dark blues, Silver, green and yellow (gold). Choose some colors and then look at the color wheel, you will see that there are analogous colors (that are beside each other on the color wheel, or contrasting colors (across from each other on the wheel). If there is no one to assist your eyes, call me at Fishsticks and I will lend a hand - I do it all the time for folks who like some help!

Posted by: John Chamorro (---.178.44.129.PAT-CA.netvelocite.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 09:45AM

"I don't suppose anyone has composed a list of thread colors that work well together? I am handicapped to begin with, since I suffer from color blindness. Ergo, I have a tough time putting colors together for crosswraps, etc."

I think what you guys may have missed is that he is color blind. I have the same problem. I'm not totally color blind but just don't "see" some colors. Red on black for example don't come through at all. On the other hand I can see a deer in the brush when nobody else does. My solution is to go through pix of other wraps that appeal to me and then ask my wife to help me identify the colors.

John

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 03:11PM

I usually just run it by my Wife, she is an expert at color combinations. Not that it helps you out..Sorry.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 11, 2009 03:19PM

Garnet is a good color for just about any blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 03:47PM

Bobby,
Get a good color wheel and use the complimentary colors.

Also, if you have an artist friend, or a photographer friend, they will certainly have a good eye for color - and what works with other colors.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 03:48PM

ER GUYS
Please reread the original post ( sorry tom but I don`t think youre advice would be suitable)
I am handicapped to begin with, since I suffer from color blindness.

Bobby run it by with the wife or a friend bud
You have my sympathy I suffered it for a few weeks when i decided to give myself arc eye couldn`t distinguish blue and yellow for the life of me

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: May 12, 2009 02:10PM

I also suffer from what I call color ignorance. There are too many of them to suit me. I was told by my wife that the color I painted the dining room is mauve-whatever the heck that is.

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 12, 2009 11:03PM

Thanks so much guys. For the most part, I can SEE colors okay if they're by themselves, but once they're put together, the color blindness sinks in. I really appreciate all the input guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster