I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for CENTERPIN reel?
Posted by: Mo Yang (218.108.12.---)
Date: May 10, 2009 12:38PM

Never used a centerpin reel but may want to build a rod to go with the centerpin.

What types of guides ? i assume that it is the same guides as a casting reel?

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for CENTERPIN reel?
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 01:06PM

High frame single foot supper slick! I have a few with REC recoil guides for winter, they allow you to break the ice off a little easier.

Look at the reel you will be using, mine is approx 5-6" in diamiter and feeds line from the outside so you can see the need for high frame guides.

Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 03:43PM by Eric Viburs.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:05PM

Well, lots of guys have different ways of doing things I guess. I've built my share of float rods and have picked the brains of some very well regarded float rod builders over the years. High frames are not needed at all. I use the REC's as well and like them for their ability to not freeze up as fast as an inserted guide but a good mid frame guide works very well. Adjust you butt guide accordingly and there is no reason to go with something that sticks off the blank very far is what I was taught. A centrepin reel is basically an upside down baitcaster....

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.90.34.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:43PM

Since these reels pay-off line like a spinning reel I would suggest single foot spinning guides.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 11:12PM

If I didn't clarify that, yes, go with single foot guides. When cast off the spool, the reels actually mimic a baitcaster more than a spinning reel if you ask me...

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 11:52PM

I have not used a centerpin and reading the above is a bit confusing. Does the reel spool turn sideways when casting so the line comes off like a spinning reel? or does the spool simply rotate very freely like a baitcaster? (in this case up side down)

Posted by: Dennis Papike (173.86.221.---)
Date: May 11, 2009 12:48AM

A center pin looks like an over size fly reel. Most of them have a shaft mounted on the backplate that slides into two bearings on the spool itself. The reel is in a continous free spool and is controled by finger pressure on the spool , you fight the fish by palming the spool. There are casts that take the line off the side of the spool but for the most part the line feeds off the reel like an upside down bait caster.

I have had very good results using Forecast VS or VS3 guides

If you need to obtain a natural drift in moving water there's nothing better .

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 11:37AM

I have been running centerpins for 25 years now and the old standard are Fugi SIC high or mid frame guides.
YSG's & TLVSG's are the most popular. Batson M series guides work nicely as well. I'm not a fan of the wire guides like the REC's or the Netccraft Flexilite guides but I have a buddy that likes the Netcraft guides. Myself, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to guides and like the looks of the SIC's and Batsons guides.
My last build was done with M series Batson's and my next is going to be built with TLVSG's.
If you are going to use any of the wire guides, use an SIC tip top.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 11, 2009 03:22PM

Andy,
The Alvey reels function like you discribed, similar looking, but built differently.

Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 05:35PM

I spent all winter building float rods for angler's in Steelhead-Alley, and every rod that I built had Fuji TYSG guides on it. Personally, I don't like the RECoil guides on a winter-time float rod. When the temperatures fall below 30* the guides sort of go "dead"... and do not seem to have the same bounce-back properties as they do in warmer weather. Trivial? Yes... but a customer would surely notice it, and I'd surely hear about it at some point.

Depending on the type of cast that the angler is going to use (preferrable a Wallis type cast) larger guides are not required.
Danny Ross summed it up pretty well with: "A centrepin reel is basically an upside down baitcaster....". The line does not oscillate like a spinning reel; it more or less comes off spool like a baitcaster - straight at the stripper guide.
I mostly use 20j's as my stripper - unless the rod will double as a Noodle rod with a spinning reel mounted to it.

Good Luck!

EDIT* Additional thought and spelling errors :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 05:37PM by Brian Morrow.

Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 05:35PM

Double Post - Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 05:35PM by Brian Morrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster