I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

This is what it's all about
Posted by: Gary Lowe (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:13AM

I had the wonderful experience of taking my seven year old Daughter fishing for the first time yesterday. To see the excitement on her face when she caught her first fish was incredible. She caught two Bluegills and one Crappie. Pretty good size too. By the end of the day she was baiting her own hook and casting her line without any help. Makes me proud! I asked her what she wanted to do today and she said she wanted to go fishing. I guess I’ll have to build her a custom rod of her own. Pink, of course.

Gary
Brick, NJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This is what it's all about
Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:27AM

Gary, I really enjoyed reading this post! Is there anything greater in life?

Jim

Stonefly Custom Fly Rods
20 Vaquero Rd
Santa Fe NM 87508

www.stoneflyrods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:31AM

Gary, Where did you fish? That is a great feeling. Wait til you get a rod you built for her in her hand and and catches a fish on it !! that is even better. Shoot me an email I have a question for you.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:35AM

Heck of a feeling!!! Next step is to have HER build her rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 11:49AM

That's terrific. Lifelong friendship with your child through fishing. My friend his son 10 landed his biggest striper yesterday 36lbs. They are together all the time.
I'll bet she can build her own rod. Of course with Dad's help. Bill

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 12:48PM

Wonderful ! I have done the same thing with my 6 year old grand daughter. Nothing more enjoyable. I am waiting now for my 3 year old grand son to get big enough.
Build her a Pink rod from a Mudhole blank and cut one of the mylar tassels from her bicycle handle bar grips and spiral it on as a butt wrap, trim it out with Silver Metallic . That will make it even more personal.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 01:43PM

Gary: How true the feeling is,and the memory last forever.I can remember the look on each one of my four Grandchildren faces when they caught their first fish.My Grandson now (13) didn't want to put the fish back in the water for another time.He just wanted to hold it and talk to it.
Reading your post and the replies has given me a good idea. Since the kids all know how to fish,I think that I'll order rod kits for each one of them to build.
I live in Florida and my Grandkids live in Virgina.We go up to Pennsylvania to the cottage on a large lake for their summer vacation. At times even though with lots going on they seem to get board(they say).
I think that this will strick up some new intrest.
I have five weeks before we leave for the lake,so I guess I better get busy getting things together.
Maybe a trip to Johnnys Pond would be a big surprise.Or would I be surprised(or broke)???
And Gary always take pictures,so that you and your family can talk about it for years.
Happy fishing!! <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 02:17PM

When I first started building rods I built both my daughter and son personalized rods. Today if they want a rod they come over and build there own. They are 38 and 37.Now I Then when the Grand kids came along I did the same for them, they were 8 and 9 at the time. Today they are 15 and 16. They both know how to fish and build rods. Right now their rod building has been put on the back burner. Their interest have changed now it it boys, girls, and cars. Thank god we have a big garage in the back where we can work on cars. The Boy - Girl problem is up to their parents. LOL every parents nightmare. Thank god for rod building and fishing. Girls-boys and cars come and go but rod building and fishing is here to stay

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 06:53PM

Your right on with the fact that its what its all about. The looks on the kkids faces from my classes when they catch their first fish on their own crafted rod is unbeleivable. It makes them almost as proud as it makes me to watch them. I have a 4 yr old grand daughter who I built a rod for and this summer will be the first time she gets to go fishing so I cant wait to see her reaction when she hooks that first bluegill. Great story, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 08:33AM

Took our 4 year old grand daughter fishing yesterday. I had built her a new rod for her soon to be birthday but let her use it early. After caughting some bluegill and perch she caught a 3 pound channel cat and landed it all by herself. I had redone a old solid glass rod which was about 4 feet painted the blank blue with red wraps and gold bands on the guides and put a Kansas Quarter on the butt since that is were she was born. Hope she will continue fishing and not just watching TV. It was great to see the look on her face. She was kind of scared of the channel after getting it off the hook. I will take a picture and make it into a First Caught sheet in a 8X10 frame for her birthday to help her remember.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster