I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf New Guide Concept Results
Posted by: Barry Kneller (38.100.42.---)
Date: May 09, 2009 06:44PM

OK, I have done my testing and am ready to wrap.

Working with a Quantum Boca 50, spool diameter rounded to 2.4 inches and planning to use Berkley Big Game 15lb mono. Blank is a Talon GSU1164, 11’6” rated for 3 to 6 oz.

The main part of the set up fell like this- Choke guide locates at 65” per the 27X and this puts the butt guide at 31” using a standard high frame 40 guide. I thought that a little too far up the rod and experienced some line slap so moved to a 50 in the same frame type. It fell in line at 26 inches. I liked the way it looked and cast. Three transition guides fell in place nicely between the butt and the choker guide. The blank required 5 running guides not counting the choker. These were set 7 inches apart. This is where it got interesting.

Starting with size 10 runners, the line flowed nicely and I got the best distance of any set up I have attempted so far. So I moved to size 8 runners. Distance unchanged but at least as good. With size 6 runners the distance did not really seem to fall off, but the line resonated in the guides horribly. I think this may be approaching the limit for this size and stiffness of mono.

I will likely go with the size 10 runners just in case I were to ever use 20lb mono on this rod but I believe you could easily use the size 8 runners or even 6 runners with more supple line. Braid would easily work with the size 6 or even smaller runners. Unusual looking for a surf rod but I cannot argue with the results. Previously I would not have thought to use anything smaller than size 12 guides and would not even have consider this type guide system concept. Now I believe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf New Guide Concept Results
Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 07:41AM

Okay, I'm a little confused here. When I sat in the Micro Guide rod seminar in High Point last February, I watched a demonstration designed to show a decrease in resonant frequency when guide size was decreased. Barry, you are saying that you saw an increase in resonance when your guides got smaller. Did I miss something in High Point, or am I missing something now?

Date: May 10, 2009 07:58AM

I am talking about the sound of the line resonating in the smaller guides with that size mono. Not anything about resonant frequency of the rod.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 09:06AM

Have you tested using an even smaller gathering guide then the "standard" 40? You switched from a 49H to a 50....I'd try going the rebel route and go smaller for the gathering guide, but thats only me thinking micro proportionate with a Cabo 50.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Date: May 10, 2009 09:50AM

Going smaller on the butt guide would push it even farther from the reel increasing line slap even more. I would have liked to have had a super high frame 40 or 30 but they do not make anything high enough to stay within a reasonable distance of a reel that large. The high frame surf 50 was the final choice not so much for the ring size but so I could keep it within 30" of the reel. Micro is fine on the running side of the choke guide but it is not going to cut the mustard on the reel side with line this large and stiff. I tried and it was terrible.

The best results came with the NGC and the suggested line path as outlined. The set up with the 40 casts almost as good as the one with the 50 but the line slapped the blank on the way out. So I went with the 50 to get the ring back a little closer to the reel. All is well.

If I could find an older HVSG40 that would be the perfect choice, but it would not match my other guides.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 09:59AM by Barry Kneller.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:25AM

I just built on a 10' 6" Breakaway Omega blank and my butt guide is a BYAG 30, approximately 36" from the spool. It's a little further than I would normally put it, but I was dealing with ferrule issues and after test casting it worked better than a 40 further back. I am using a VS 250 with 50# braid and it casts like a rocket. This is the layout.

Tip
BYAG 8 6"
BYAG 8 12"
BYAG 8 18"
BYAG 8 24"
BYAG 10 30.5"
BYAG 12 38.5"
BYAG 20 50"
BYAG 30 64"

Great blank BTW.

Tony

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:44AM

I'm not sure if there are still any ultra-high frame surf spinning guides being made. The HSVSG, which is what I think Barry meant, are perfect for butt guides on surf rods using large spinning reels. A 40 in that style is as high as a regular high frame 50, and the 30 is as high as a regular high frame 40.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster