I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone inlay
Posted by: Ted Metzger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2009 01:12PM

I got a hold of a sheet of green abalone veneer from XXXX XXXX, and am wondering the best way to apply it to the rod blank . It hasn't got any kind of glued backing like I recently saw on another product, so I'm going to have to come up with something that will hold this stuff in place, long enough to flex coat it. That plus try ing to flex the material around the blank has proven to be a problem because it does not flex well. On the material with the adhesive backing , the piece to be used was simply rolled around the blank first, flexing the veneer in the process, and actually cracking it into place, then removing the paper and applying it to the rod. I really would like to use the piece I have, it's good looking and the shell has a naturall design, but I need to get past the application problem first. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I tried to contact the supplier but never heard back

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone inlay
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2009 01:21PM

Have no idea who your supplier was, but Kevin Knox outlined his vinegar soak process in a RodMaker article last year. That's the key to making the abalone flexible without cracking it.

Posted by: Ted Metzger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2009 01:26PM

Is there any way I can download the article , I'd be happy to pay for it, just need access to the information.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: May 09, 2009 02:11PM

I think Mud Hole had some articles on that stuff ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2009 06:05PM

No, I don't offer any downloads. Sorry. You would have to buy the back issue.

Kevin's DVD includes similar instructions which he wrote to go along with his line of abalone products.

You can also do a search here and see what you can turn up in the archives. It's been discussed quite a bit.

Posted by: John Chamorro (---.178.44.129.PAT-CA.netvelocite.net)
Date: May 09, 2009 06:06PM

I would recommend either a thin 2 sided tape or the 3m mirror stick tape. Either will work.

John

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 08:07AM

I have some two sided very thin carpet tape that I got at a whole sale carpet supply not the big box stores that might work If it were me I would try that as it is very thin and super sticky on both sides. After I applied it to the back of the abalone I would use Kevin Knox's soak method to a small piece of scrap, if there is such a thing with abalone, piece of abalone to see if the tape sticks. If it does not stick I would try to soak it with out the tape, dry it well and then apply the tape and then go for the rod. You have to be very careful when placing on the rod go very SLOWLY when applying to the rod. It took me almost five minutes to put it on a small spinning rod. After you get it around the blank wrap with size D thread and let alone for24 hours this will place pressure to the abalone and make sure it is firmly glued to the blank. I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 10:40PM

Early on with my abalone experimentation, I used a piece I had that had no backing - All you need is a good quality double sided tape.

On that rod, I marked and cut my abalone, then applied the double stick tape to the back of the shell, and allowed it to sit overnight so the glue could bond to the shell.

After that I tried both vineagar and crack and wrap methods. To this day I prefer the vineagar method.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster