I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod color preserver
Posted by: Ted Metzger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 05:37PM

This is the first time I've used this brand of color preserver, and it's definitely the last. Typically I will use flex coat, but because I was out of it and needed something quick, I went ahead and used the Gudebrod preserver. I knew I was in trouble about 1/2 way into it, on a Calstar 270-8', when the stuff started to go off on me. Never seen anything like it. I was applying this on the underwrap, so I thought I would be fine. Problem was, the underwrap is white, and now the blank color(black is bleeding thru). I've seen this with the flex coat as well, but it always dries "down" and the translucence disappears. Not with this stuff. Needless to say I had to strip off all the underwraps, and start over, not the end of the world, but a pain just the same. One other thing this stuff did, was as it was drying down, the part that remained white turned yellow........weird. My question is, has anybody else run into this, or did I just get a bad batch or what, I did throw it all out. In addition ,this stuff smelled like finger nail polish.........bad action

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 06:22PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod color preserver
Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 06:15PM

Ted....In my opinion Chrome-a-Seal is the best...Then comes Flex-Coat....Gudebrod used to be the very best on the market and why they ever messed with it is beyond be. You put it in the right place if you poured it down the sink ,maybe it cleaned out the drain a bit.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Jeffrey Janusonis (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 06:21PM

Ted
I just used some also for the first time I used it on NCP and a Metalic i picked up at a fabric store. Mine turned slightly milky. I let it dry 24 hr and appled a second coat, I also had some blank color bleed thru a light blue ncp but since I was just testing the thread I didn't pay attention to getting the wrap tight. Overall the Gudebrod dried clear with no milkyness.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2009 06:22PM

Was your Gudebrod product in a plastic bottle or a glass bottle?

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 06:33PM

I might add that since Gudebrod changed their formulas on the 811A they have totally ruined it unless they came out with something new but if they are still using the 811A on their bottles they are mis-representing their product....if it smells it is solvent based, if it doesn't it is water based and neither is even close to the original.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 06:36PM

Ted, that's the solvent based 811 that Gudebrod brought out for a breif time, then discontinued because of problems. There were three formulas of 811 on the shelf at the same time and no way for the dealers to tell one from the other w/o opening it. Toss it. If we shipped it, drop me a note and we'll take care of it.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:59PM

Ted, I have used it quite a bit and I have had decent luck with it in comparison to the flexcoat cp that I have used. I haven't tried anything but flexcoat and gudebrod color preserver, I am on my third bottle between the two brands , and with gudebrod thread it works great, with madeira it darkens a shade between what it would be before and after finishing without it, and the color holds true, other polyester threads it works the same as the madeira. I am sure I will be using the chromaseal next time I get some in hopes that it will work better with polyester thread, I wrap more with it because my wife does embroidery and I therefore have a larger variety of colors to play with in polyester threads. I can't buy true wrapping thread anywhere nearby and more often than not I am unhappy with the color after I get it when ordering on line. I put yellow madeira on a dark green blank and bamboo and had no problems.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 09:48PM

I too have been disappointed with the Gudebrod product. Once upon a time I thought it was great, but I have stopped using it for the very reason that you wrote. When it dries it has uneven color; I had top completely redo a $1000 rod after believing it would do the job

Jim

Stonefly Custom Fly Rods
20 Vaquero Rd
Santa Fe NM 87508

www.stoneflyrods.com

Posted by: Ted Metzger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2009 12:45PM

I will try and answer the specific questions raised here. It was in a plastic bottle, and the number on the bottle was 811........not 811A . I had two bottles of the stuff, and got rid of both. Thanks for the responses, at least I know it's not an isolated incident. I use Gudebrod NCP on most of my projects and have never had a problem with the thread, but as stated, the CP is a different deal altogether. I just won't use it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 09:33AM

mark:
i just got some in a plastic bottle, black and white label. Has a #811 in the left lower corner. Says on it thin with alcohol and clean up with water. is this the bad stuff ?? Does not have a bad smell to it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2009 09:48AM

I asked about the glass bottle because that's the way the old nitrocelluose laquer CPs were packaged. There is still some out there and it was never very good. 20 and 25 years later it will be even worse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster