I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

passing knots through guides
Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 12:22AM

hello all, i will start out by saying i am being a little lazy, but i figure someone on here has already done this and can save me some time and shipping. i fish alot 30 lb. power pro and a 20 lb. mono leader. i know that size 7 guides will pass the connection easily. i learned today while test casting a new build that size 3's will not.(or knot). i tie a uni to uni, or a worm knot, both of which are pretty slim. does anyone have any exp. with the smallest ring sizes that will pass this connection? because that is what i will need for my next one. thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: passing knots through guides
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 02:05AM

If a #7 passes the knot easily, why knot try a #6 or a #5 ?

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 07:19AM

The most I go up to for my leader material is 15 pound fluoro.

I also use slip bobber knots for Walleye and Crappie fishing on 6 pound line at most.

#6's seem to do OK with the Uni's...slip bobber knots "clank" against every #6 guide on the way out...

I would NOT steer you towards a #5. I THINK a #6 would work for you.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Bobby Bolivia (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 07:36AM

i use 10lb fluor on #6 guides sometimes and you can feel it go through every guide on each cast, dont know if its worth whatever you get out of it to feel the knot of 20# go through the guides everytime you cast. I think 7s would be the smallest.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:07AM

Your knot may not be the same size as the same knot tied by someone else. You'll just have to experiment with guides and the knots you tie.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:10AM

I use #12 Jerry Brown spectra with #15-20 fluoro leader connected with either a Seaguar or Uni to Uni knot.
Using short, 4ft, leaders I have no trouble with the knots passing through Recoil 6's. I can feel the knots pass
a little bit though.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:12AM

You could also keep your leader short enough that it doesn’t have to pass through the guides.
On the one rod I use a leader (top water to keep the hooks from swinging back around and fouling in the braid)
I keep my leader about 15 inches long that way it I can use the smallest guides I choose without worry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:32AM

I know I will probably get slapped around for this one ... but try tying your braid DIRECTLY to the hook or lure and go fishing for the day. You may just be surprised at the outcome.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 09:12AM

Jim - what are you thinking? ha ha ha

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 09:21AM

I agree with Jim on this one.
Most of my friends as well as myself - NEVER fish with a leader.
We just tie out hooks, lures or other directly to the braid. We have no issues with not catching fish - even compared - cast to cast with identical baits - lures being fished on either mono - or long floro leaders.

I think that much of the talk and use of leaders is overrated.

I will agree that for certain species of fish and perhaps for certain waters, the use of a clear leader can help catch more fish. But I think that the use of a leader is unnecessary in most waters for most fish.

Even if you feel that you do have to use a leader, a leader of 2 feet or so is certainly sufficient to take care of visibility issues with respect to line shy fish. It is also sufficient to take care of line wear issues is working snaggy or mussle filled bottoms.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
If in doubt - fish alternate identical rods - first without a leader, then with a leader.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 11:58AM

I agree with Jim,Alex and Roger, I never use a leader. About 90% of my fishing is for Bass and I have never found a need for a leader.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 12:31PM

With the all small diameter lines out there today in most cases you do not need leaders. In the old days when you used snaps and needed a smaller leader you tied on snaps. Try a fly knot

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2009 02:54PM

Sometimes toothy fish require a bite leader - either steel or heavy mono. But most of the time these are short enough that they are never brought back onto the reel. Just a foot or so.

I would recommend setting the rod up for the worst case scenario - for the largest line and any connections you plan to use. Whatever guides will handle that, will handle less, as well. But not vice versa.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 03:34PM

Good point Tom - but for that kind of leader you are probably going to be using a crimp, not a uni knot.

No worries about getting that through micros... it will just knock them off.

Cody - we've all been quick to answer - but what are you fishing for with that set up?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 03:36PM

You will also need a leader if you are trolling baits into the bottom like I do for Lake Trout. No leader = turning around every so often to retrive your T60 Flatfish when it floats to the surface after the line has broken. :(

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 07:59PM

I guess I'm the odd one here. My light tackle rods all have 6s and no less as I do a bimini twist in 10# braid with an alberto (modified albright) to 12# mono straight, and if necessary followed by any other necessary leader such as offshore light tackle fishing for grouper and snapper. (yes I do it)

Posted by: Bobby Bolivia (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:19PM

If its for large mouth bass they dont need a leader they are pretty dumb fish.

Posted by: cody delmere (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2009 09:39PM

thanks for all the replies guys. i fish the texas coast inshore for trout, reds, and specks. i have been using a 3 or four foot flouro leader. i just finished a rod with the 3 micros and of course the knots won't pass. i'm going to exp. next week with a shorter leader, and no leader on that rod. i was basically just trying to decide if i could get away with ordering 5's for my next one or if i needed to get 6's. either way, i'll eventually try all the combinations probably, just trying to save a little time on the next one. thanks again for the replies.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2009 10:23AM

I have always used a leader, but think the guys advocating going direct to the braid are probably right, at least most of the time. There are smaller knots than the uni-uni. Try an albright or slim beauty-google them for instructions. Do some experimenting because how you tie may affect how well the knots hold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster