I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizes for 5'9 baitcasting rod...
Posted by: Bobby Newsom (209.149.145.---)
Date: May 07, 2009 11:56AM

I realize that before settling on a final combination of guides, I'm going to have to test the rod with different guide setups (# of guides, sizes, and positions). I was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for the APPROXIMATE sizes of guides which I'd be looking at for a bass rod somewhere between 5'6" and 6'0". Maybe a medium strength, mod-fast action. I want to go ahead and order a good variety of guides so that I can experiment to find the right formula.

Thanks much in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizes for 5'9 baitcasting rod...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2009 12:06PM

Bait casting rods are pretty easy - you only need a couple of sizes, one for the butt guide (large and high enough to keep it off your hand or foregip under full load) and the rest can be as small as will still allow your line and any required connections to pass.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 03:15PM

Lots of options
3s all the way
3.5s all the way
6s all the way
6-3s to tip

Any of it works.

My personal choice is 6-4-3s.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (209.149.145.---)
Date: May 07, 2009 04:00PM

Are those sizes fly rod sizes? I'm looking at MudHole's supply of Fuji SIC guides and the smallest casting guide I see is a size 6.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 04:13PM

Do a search for Micro guides on Mud Holes web site, I have seen Micro guides on there. Or many of the Folks to the right could set you up with Micro guides.

Best of Luck,
Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Date: May 07, 2009 04:16PM

Sorry Bobby. Yes... these are single foot guides- known as micros.

Swampland, Custom Tackle, MudHole I know sell them. Probably more as well, I just don't have experience with the others.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 12:51AM

So how does this setup sound for a rod that'll be between 5'6" and 6'0"...

12-8-7-6-6-6-tiptop

Or should I do something a little larger, with a more gentle taper...

12-10-8-6-6-6-tiptop

I haven't looked that much at the micro guides yet, so I can't say yay or nay about them just yet. Just throwing some ideas outu there to see what opinion others have.

I appreciate all the input guys. Everyone here is so great and helpful.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 09:27AM

If you are not ready to explore micro guides yet just build it 6-6-6-6-6-6-tip, you can make the first one a double foot if you want. Look at your reel, the line had already gone through a hole the equivalent of about a size 4 guide. There is no reason to put a guide larger than a 6 anywhere on a baitcasting rod, and smaller guides are less likely to get tangled and bent while in use.

Date: May 08, 2009 09:50AM

I agree with Mike.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 12:47PM

Cool. Thanks guys.

FWIW, after looking around a little more online, it definitely seems like this concept of smaller guides is the thing now. I guess my apprehension in this area is really more lack of experience than anything. I've never used a rod with really small (much less MICRO) guides. But I have to admit, the concept does make good sense. Smaller guides = less weight.

Date: May 08, 2009 01:37PM

More than just less weight.

truer blank action
better line control on casts

the list can go on.

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster