I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommendations for a worm rod...
Posted by: Bobby Newsom (209.149.145.---)
Date: May 07, 2009 11:08AM

Looking to build a rod for bass fishing with plastic worms/lizards exclusively, Texas rigged. I know that every blank manufactorer has a specific blank for each specific task; I was just wondering what everyone here prefers. Just personal preference is what I'm looking for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendations for a worm rod...
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 12:38PM

We need more information! I fish worms from 4" to 10-1/2" and 6 pound to 25 spinning to Flip sticks. Where are you fishing, heavy cover or clear bottoms and what pound line do you wish to use? A good all around rod would be a medium-heavy power, 1/4 to 3/4 ounce baits and 10-25 pound line. You can find one of those in every blank makers catalog. My suggestion would be to call Bob at Custom Tackle and maybe some of the other sponsers on the left and you can narrow your search. Every good blank manufacturer will have several blanks for "worm" fishing they are a must. I use as many as 4 different rods for plastics, sometimes 5 (my new passion Flick Shaking!).

Posted by: Joe Johnson (67.50.47.---)
Date: May 07, 2009 04:18PM

Does flick shaking have anything to do with trying to get that bugar off the end of your finger? :)

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 06:50PM

Good one Joe, you brightened my day!!!

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 01:01AM

I'm looking at 14# test line (probably braided). Most of the fishing will be in an old river oxbow lake, where there isn't so much grass, lilipads, etc., as there are cypress and tupelo gum trees. That's usually the "structure" that we shoot for in casting.

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:43AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my usual rig is a 6" Zoom Lizard Texas rig with a 3/16oz. bullet weight.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 09:49AM

6' - 6'6" - maybe 6'9" if you aren't that close to the trees, 1/4 - 3/4 oz lure rating

Shorter rod manuevers easier close to limbs and easier to cast under them

I would probably go about an 8" grip on the 6'6", on the 6' I would consider something in the 7" range if not a pistol.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 10:43AM

I like the Batson XSB843 for plastics. You could cut it down a bit if you need.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 01:51PM

If cash is tight, then the the Batson IMB843 makes a nice t-rig rod also. Just built one for my father a few weeks ago.

Eric

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 05:42PM

If you don't have to worry about cover when you cast, I'd go with the longest rod you're comfortable with. Many times that extra casing distance you get with a longer rod can mean the difference between getting bit and not. In the boat, we just pull closer to where we want to cast, but that isn't an option fishing from shore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster