I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6'0" UL/Fast - Guide Sizes?
Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 03:31AM

I am building a 6ft UL spinning rod and thought I'd pick your brains on guide sizes.
I jumped on the "micro/spiral" bandwagon and have started on my 5C70MHF... so far so good!
Is there a thoery, or standard formed yet for micro guides and spinning rods?

At the moment I am thinking:
BYAG - 20j - 12j - 8Lj - BLAG - 6 - 6 - 6 - TT ( I already have the 6's and the 6-4.0 TT for it... so I'm rolling with that on the top section. Does the 20, 12, 8Lj sound OK for a 6ft UL?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Tight wraps!
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6'0" UL/Fast - Guide Sizes?
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 06:46AM

Put the first 6 (choker) at 27x the spool diameter from the reel. Now, run a string from the center of the reel to the choker. Next, check that the tops of the 20-12-8 touch the string, when those guides are placed where you want them. I would order extra guides in sizes 25, 16, 10, just to be sure that I had what I needed.

Date: May 07, 2009 06:52AM

Thanks George!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2009 08:13AM

You don't want to predetermine your guide sizes - let the line path show you what sizes to use and where to locate them. As George said, this will entail buying a few extra sizes to allow you to use what's required.

Date: May 07, 2009 08:26AM

I've never used the method that George described, but I totally understand the logic behind it. I just want to make absolutey sure I understand the process.

George said to measure the diameter of my spool and multiply that by 27 (1.642 x 27=44.334) . Then place the first choker (blag 6) at 44.334... from the reel face or the butt of the rod? (assuming reel face)

So, at this point I'm not even looking at the 20, 16, and 10... just focusing on the 6?
Measuring from the blank to the line determines the sizes of the larger sized guides, and their placement - based on which size touches the line?
Do I place the larger guides on the blank where they contact the line - or does the static guide test kick in at this point?

Thanks ya's!
Brian

EDIT - typo's, misspelled words - I really wish my fingers were intelligent as I am.. lol

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 08:38AM by Brian Morrow.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2009 08:40AM

RodMaker Volume 10 #4 has the details and photos/illustrations. There is an earlier version in the library here.

There is only 1 choker guide - it will be the smallest guide used in the set-up (the runners are all the same size as the choker guide).

The distance you asked about is from the face of the reel spool to the choker guide location.

The line path is from the spool center to the choker guide. Guides are set so that the line path is straight and along the rings (you cannot make line pass through the center of a guide - gravity will pull it to the bottom of the ring).

This requires that you have enough guide sizes on hand so that you can accommodate the line path. You nearly always have a couple size options for the butt guide, but there is a general range which tends to work best and prevent line slap. So it is recommended to try both sizes as they will be located in different places.

Date: May 07, 2009 08:59AM

Thank you Tom!
I greatly appreciated it :-)

I found the article in the library and fully grasp the process now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 09:07AM by Brian Morrow.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 09:04AM

Brian,
This is unscientific, but I made a set of ultralights on G Loomis 6 ft blanks, extendeded to Tom's SJ 700 smallmouth rod specs. I used Tom's 6 lb line guide spec from the article and the 27X spec. I didn't notice a test casting performance difference with the limp 2 and 4 lb line I used, but the 6 lb line spec'd rod was lighter, especially in the tip, by quite a bit. They are both wrapped and fished at Tom's 6 lb spec now.

Date: May 07, 2009 09:16AM

Spencer, ya sort of lost me because I'm not familiar with Tom's 6lb spec, or the SJ 700 smallmouth rod specs.
I'm sort of new around here and don't receive Rod Maker magazine... yet. I plan on subscribing as soon as I can afford to, and I plan to buy several back issues as well... so I can catch up on all this wisdom!

Many thanks!
Brian

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: May 07, 2009 08:00PM

Brian, he's referring to Tom's article in Rodmaker on Light Tackle smallmouth rods.
Now, I am sure I replied here, must have hit the wrong button. I use that transition setup on most of my light rods, matched to spools in the 35 to 41 mm diameter range, and they work great. With NGC spacing, you may need another BLAG6 on the tip.

As previously mentioned, a few extra sizes in guides will allow you more scope for experimentation and tweaking of the guide train. 16, 10, 8L, or even more extreme and just using the 16 or the 12 shooting straight into the 8L and the 6's. Line used plays an important part, and test casting will show that. You also need good distribution between the reel and choke.
All depends on the guide height you need in that 19-23 inch range (butt guide), and the spacing of the transitions to the choker (BLAG6 at 27X).

Also, higher framed guides like 'M' frames will allow you to keep height and distribution, but use an overall smaller sized guide train. If you are keen on trying smaller guides (3's,4's, 5's) then this may be another avenue to explore too.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: May 10, 2009 01:53AM

Just finished a 3s60ulf, and it is set up for mono on a shimano sustain 1000. I used byag 20 - 12 - 8L - blag 4s to the tip with a batson 4mm tip. works great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster