I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Electric Decals and Proofreading…
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: May 06, 2009 02:53PM

With new power comes new responsibility. Now that we can easily get nearly anything we want on a decal just by hitting the print button, we need to try to make sure that someone else checks your work before you put it on a rod and encase it in epoxy. It is far too easy for your brain to see what you believe is on the decal and not what really is there. I should have known better since part of my job is to create engineering drawings of parts and the rule there is that no drawing, no matter how simple, ever gets released unless it is checked by at least one other person.

The way I discovered my issue is when I asked my wife how she liked the background I was using and she said that the customers name looked funny. I checked and it was spelled wrong, turns out the decal I was working on was made by modifying a design for a rod I had already delivered. Funny thing is that he gave me the deposit for this rod when I delivered the rod with his name spelled wrong, and never said a word about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric Decals and Proofreading…
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2009 02:58PM

His brain is doing the same thing yours is - correcting it. He'll show it to somebody and they'll ask him about the spelling. Count on it.

You might contact him and explain the error, offering to fix it before anyone else sees it.

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2009 03:28PM

Mike,

Same thing happened with my father's rod. I sent it to him with a Purple Heart decal with dates of service and the date he was wounded all correct. I however placed him in the 23rd infantry instead of the 25th. It was free to him, but he still asked for a refund.

Eric

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 03:35PM

One more little piece:

There are millions of background images that exist on the Internet. Many of these art works contain imbedded artist signautures that are well concealed in the art work. Many of these images are currentily being used to create specialty labels for custom rods. When the holographic media is used to make a decal some of these hidden images come to the foreground when you install other images or fonts over the top in the next layer. It is highly advisable to use the Zoom Feature and look at all images with higher resolution to insure that you are not displaying unwanted images..

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp-v.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2009 06:43PM

I believe he noticed it, he was just trying to be polite. I got it right on this rod, and I will definitely try to get him to let me fix the other one.

Google image search, best source ever for backgrounds.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: May 06, 2009 08:08PM

Not to be a naysayer... but watch copyrights. Free domain photos aren't nearly as common as copyrighted ones.

Disney is huge about protecting copyrights.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 09:17PM

Use the old editors trick of reading the text from the bottom to the top. That way your brain will not be fooled .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster