I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Electric decal
Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 01:09PM

I finally got my printer settings right and printed a Holographic decal and now I'm ready to apply it, will it hurt to wrap over the ends of it to help hold it in place. I read the article about 5 time and don't recall seeing it mentioned and need to know if it's a no no or not. Thanks for any help.

Herb Bickings

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric decal
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 01:31PM

What is the exact name or part number of the holographic paper media you are using, source for the media and the diameter of the rod at the point of placement. There are specific instructions and pictures of the backing in the Rodmaker Article for containment of the media used in the magazine article. Did you spray with fixative?

Date: May 05, 2009 01:39PM

Bill , I got paper media from you, I'm using the Holo shine and the rod dia. is 0.850in. and yes I sprayed with 3 coats of clear matte acrylic.

Herb Bickings

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:12PM

I would wrap up to the edges, not over them, because the thread may have a tendency to skip or gap as it comes off the media edge.

If you apply the thread clamp as outlined in the article, the decal should stay affixed just fine until the application of epoxy.

Date: May 05, 2009 02:22PM

Thanks, I kind of figured that out the hard way, not to hard to mess up the edges while cutting the decal out, I had to trim off one edge where it delaminated so wrapping over it would probably be a bad idea. thanks again.

Herb Bickings

Date: May 05, 2009 03:42PM

Did you use the roller cutter reccommended on the Swampland Site. Please reread this section on the site.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

If you cut the edges properly you can place the holoshine paper without any overwrap backing to hold it in place. If you cut the top, bottom and one end to the desired dimensions and leave a small tab to use to separate the film from the backing the one oversize edge can be trimmed at the time of placement. Do not use a Sharpie to color the edge. Simply press into place firmly and let dry for an hour. If you have Flexcoat CP you can do a small edge coating to help to give an edge seal for finishing.

Please use the contact us on the Swampland site and give me a call if I can help furthur.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 04:08PM

The roller cutter is well worth the investment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 04:29PM

Must it be Flexcoat Bill?

Date: May 05, 2009 04:52PM

The CP must be water based - if the CP is a solvent base or has been thinned with denature alcohol the adhesive will be effected and edge separation is likely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster