I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spining Question and.........
Posted by: Sergio Sarichny (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 10:19AM

I am a rookie when it comes to rod building, and no doubt i have a bit to learn, but over all, things are progressing nicely for me. I do have a couple of questions though.
I purchased two rod blanks that I will be making into spinners, for inshore fishing, namely stripers. The blanks are as follows. St Criox 3C80MF 8’ and a Lami GSH961MT also 8'.
When spining them, the Lami would roll & stop quite noticeably, where as the St Criox was more subtle, and not so pronounced, when settling out. Is this common, to see different blank manufacturers blanks behave so differently when locating the spine?
On to the next question. My mind is set (unless convinced otherwise) on using low rider guide sets on these blanks (Fuji LC). From what I have read, it appears that for the most part, these are used on rod lengths 9' or more, although people have built on smaller blanks. By doing so, am I limiting myself in some way's by going this route, or should I rethink my decision here.
I will use size 40 reels (Diawa Advantage, Cabo 40 and the like), 30lb Suffix or Power Pro braid. Throwing plugs around 1oz and rubber about the same weight.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spining Question and.........
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2009 10:54AM

Yes, the spine effect is going to be different based on how straight the blank is, the particular pattern involved, etc. It's created by a combination of manufacturing anomalies that are going to be different from blank to blank and company to company. But since spine has little to no effect on rod twist or casting accuracy, it's not something you need to be overly worried about. Most commercial rod companies and many if not most custom builders simply build on the straightest axis and forget about rod spine.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.NSW.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:24PM

I use lowriders on rods down to 7' for spin/threadline outfits aimed at casting and running spinning reels/threadlines. I think its a brilliant guide design. A 4000 size daiwa matches to a 16M frame as a stripper works very nicely on an 8' rod with braids to PE4. I would not recomend them for mono any heavier then 5kg though. You will need to do test casts and play with the orientation of all the guides from the stripper to the intersect though to get the best performance. It took a lot of hard work to find crack the lowrider system but they are worth it

Date: May 05, 2009 12:40PM

Guy's I appreciate your answers, anyone else want to chime in, the more input the better.
Can I use the "THE NEW GUIDE CONCEPT PRIMER" introductions as outlined in the library section, or is there another recommended method?
I hear that many guides are the norm for this type of set up, is this true? if so, what would be the recommended amount of guides for my particular set-up?

Date: May 05, 2009 12:59PM

Sergio, I use a minimum of 6 lowriders on my rods. The most I have used on one rod would be 8 guides for a 12' stick. The NGC is a good starting point but will require a bit of playing around with to fine tune it for the best casting performance. I would advise that you get the all the sizes and try different combinations of the 20, 16M, 16, 12m, 12 feeding the 10s, 8s and 6s depending on how small you need to go on the running guides. The 6 are fine for upto 20lb albrighted mono leader. The 8s work well to 40lb and the 10s do 60lb and some low diameter 80lb leaders well. Try one larger size ring then your running guides on your tip top guide as well. The stripper at about the halfway point on the rod would be a good starting point as well on fast action blanks. You will need to do your static tests and load tests to make judment on this on slower actioned blanks to get a better compromise between power and casting

Date: May 05, 2009 01:49PM

Rohit, thank you for the additional information. Low rider guides, are they all SIC or can I get a less expensive material. Also, how do I order larger rings?

Date: May 05, 2009 02:13PM

Hi mate
They are available in Alconite ring with stainless steel frame, SiC with stainless steel frame, SiC with titanium frame. Mudhole is a good source. The largest ring is a size 20 and is perfect with reels as large as the biggest big pitch surf reels like the emblem pro if braids are used.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:14PM

The New Guide Concept article in the library here should work well with your rod. However, I would locate the choker/intersect guide by multiplying your reel spool diameter by 27, and then locating the guide that distance from the face of the reel spool. Everything else, including the line path will be the same as what's in the online library article here.

Date: May 05, 2009 07:39PM

Thanks guys for your help and input. I'll keep you posted as to my progress (or lack thereof), and more than likely solicit your help down the road.

Date: May 06, 2009 12:47PM

Have fun mate, if you run into any dramas or need to discuss any point then send me an email

Date: May 06, 2009 05:32PM

You got it Rohit, thanks for the offer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster