I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Corks deal
Posted by: Bobby Bolivia (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 04:36AM

Trying to save myself a bit of time hunting, ushually buy cork in really big wholesale orders. This time since im not building much these days I need enough cork to build two sets of split grips, maybe 14 inches worth. I want decent cork, something that needs little to no filler to look halfway good, like a true flor grade. Hoping someone has ordered something recently and knows whats what with cork. Email if you dont want to say in public.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corks deal
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 07:43AM

I just received excellent cork rings from Mud Hole.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:10AM

What is a true flor grade? Can you direct me to the standard or requirements for classifying a cork ring as "flor?"

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:56PM

I call flor grade something like he described, needs little to no filler, I know what you are saying, tom, but I also know what he is talking about. The guy wants the best cork available. I know that there are different standards and anyone can call any cork flor grade, but when I look at "flor" grade cork I want something with NO filler and still smooth and comfortable to the touch. I admit my inexperience, but being used to having to build rods on the cheap, yet still having expensive tastes, I have learned the difference in cork if nothing else. I got some cork from an unnamed source the other day that in my opinion barely makes the grade for "flor" grade but it was pretty good none the less, there were some pits you could see that looked fairly large but they were shallow and therefore needed no filler. I have turned only two grips and in the last week at that, but I only decided to learn because I could not get decent cork in a premade grip for under about 40 bucks prior to shipping. Here is my first. Bobby, If the cork (not my grip) looks good to you drop me a email.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 09:31PM

As Dave pointed out, Mud Hole DOES have high quality cork currently available - CG1 on the Rod Maker cork grading scale. However, even at wholesale pricing ... 14" of finished grip will cost you some serious change. If the blanks, guides and design are worthy, go for it. Otherwise, consider CG2 cork (1/2 the price) or composite rings (1/3 the price).

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: May 05, 2009 10:18PM

i bought the overstock cork mudhole had ..

and to tell you the truth, the $0.45/pc is much better then what i get locally for $1.50/pc..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 10:19PM

If you need to do some filling look into Elmer's carpenter wood filler. Get the stuff that comes in a plastic tub. It comes in many colors and shades I use a Utility razor blade to apply it to a defect. Scrap excess off or dampen your finger with a little water to get excess off. Lightly sand and you are home free and know one is the wiser..

Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 05, 2009 11:04PM

For some reason when i hit "quote" all i get is a empty reply window...

This is in reply to Tom Kirkman.

"What is a true flor grade? Can you direct me to the standard or requirements for classifying a cork ring as "flor?"

No I can not point you to anything, since every seller has there own gradings and it all means nothing.

I am just asking the old school rod builders (or even some of the newer ones who have been though all the cork buying bull wringer) that can remember Flor grade ment much better than avergae cork and when that was advertised you got that, not the shenanigans of today of flor grade advertised and you end up with garbage.

Thanks for all the replys guys...

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 01:42AM

WE all understand your complaint. Until there is a standard for cork quality, You get what you get. Tom did an extensive article on Cork a few years ago.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: armand flies (86.96.229.---)
Date: May 06, 2009 04:12AM

I bought a bag full of CG2 rings from Bingham (link to the left). Haven't turned it yet, but it looks to be a lot better than the CG2 I got from REC a while back.

This is also an opportune moment to plug Bingham and thank Karen for her helpfulness and patience.

Date: May 06, 2009 10:21AM

Actually there is only one standard - the RodMaker Cork Grade Scale. The rest are just terms with no standards behind them.

"Flor" is shortened from "Floret" which was coined by Gene Bullard. Even then, there was no standard behind it. It was just the term he used for some cork he sourced direct from the grower.

So even a cork ring with tons of holes and pits can correctly graded as "Flor."

Date: May 06, 2009 10:23AM

Armand,

With the RodMaker scale, you have a photograph and a percent clarity chart to go by, so if you feel what someone sent you is not true CG2 cork, you have something to argue with.

You can't do that with Flor, because there is no standard behind it. It is whatever the dealer sells you.

Posted by: armand flies (86.96.226.---)
Date: May 06, 2009 01:18PM

Thanks Tom.

Fact is that the REC product was good enough for me not to take issue with it, just stating that the Bingham product has seemingly less flaws. I suppose that within each category there will be a range, i.e. upper and lower CG1, for instance.

Date: May 06, 2009 02:46PM

Yes.

Date: May 07, 2009 07:14AM

Well since I cant see what Im buying, and have to trust a strange to me retailer, which may or may not be honest or really looking well at the stock, or doesnt feel like knocking the price down to the next lesser grade or two because his supplier sent him something less than he got in his last shipment. Asking here seems to have netted more trust worty info than I could have hope for that for sure. Thanks again all.

I cant believe a club of sorts has not been started for group buys on this stuff with it being the expensive commodity it is now adays.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster