I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NCG and Surf Spinning
Posted by: Barry Kneller (38.100.42.---)
Date: May 03, 2009 05:03PM

I have an older Talon surf blank that I am finally planning to build up into a nice surf spinning rod. My question regards the NCG and the reel and if you think this system will work OK on a medium duty surf rod. Casting distance IS a priority.

The reel will be a very large Quantum BOCA 50 with a spool diameter of 2.35 inches. This is the largest spinning reel I have ever used. I have test fitted with standard cone of flight and set up with standard Fuji NGC chart placements. Both work OK but not spectacular. I feel I could get more out of this rod with a better system. Any thoughts on the 27X choke guide location? How small is it possible to go on the running guides? I will be using 15lb Big Game line if that is any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NCG and Surf Spinning
Date: May 03, 2009 05:06PM

I forgot to ask, I assume the 27X is for face spool diameter and not circumference? I believe I have ready everything correctly.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 03, 2009 05:29PM

The NGC will indeed work for you with that large reel and line size.

Do you plan to use a shock leader knot? If so, that will make all the difference in how small you can go with you choker and running guides. In many cases, this could limit you to nothing smaller than a 12, or even a 16. It all depends on the size of your shock leader knot. Only way to know is to go out and try it, getting smaller and smaller for each series of tests until you find that point at which the knot seems to hang or "tug" on the way out.

If you're not using a shock leader knot, I'd try 10's for the choker and running guide to start, and if that does well, move down to 8's. If that continues to do as well, try 6's. So on and so forth until you feel that something isn't right or you notice a measurable decrease in distance. At that point, just back up a notch and you'll be on the money.

Once you locate the choker via the 27X factor (yes, use the reel spool face diameter), you'll have to play with the butt guide location. To get the ring on the plotted line path you'll need a very high frame 40 or a standard spinning type 50. From there set your transition guides on the line path. For a reel that large you'll most likely need 2 transition guides between the butt guide and choker guide. It might even take 3, but you didn't list the power of the rod so this is something you'll have to work out. The information is in the article and I assume you've read it.

The number of running guides will be determined by the overall length of the rod beyond the choker guide.

You can certainly try various set ups and play around with it a bit, but after you've done all that I think you're going to be very surprised at how close this particular set up puts you to being right on the money on the first go around.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 03, 2009 06:39PM

I would scrap the Fuji Concept charts and go with the NEW Guide Concept article in the Library above and use the 27xspool diameter for choke placement. Much more effective setup.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 03, 2009 07:48PM

I use mostly #10 or 8 on my surf rods that I use for lures and I pass knots ok. Uni knot braid to floro! On some of my bait rods I use #12 but never any bigger! I also have found that you can push the running guides up to 5 3/4" apart with no problem at all (mostly on longer rods 10' and over). I also like to keep my first guide from tip about 3 or 4 inches from tip.... why? Just the way I do it!!

I also use mostly Penn 704,706 or 747 reels and have found I rarely have to use a #40 guide and most will start with a #30. I just finished a 11'8" bait rod and it starts with a 30 and casts great, Very smooth!! I still always test with a 40 and 30 and move them around to find best location and size to start.

Date: May 03, 2009 08:13PM

OK, the smallest thing I had was size 12 for the runners. No shock leader knot. It went smooth as silk. Followed the article and your advice with the 27X. Worked good. My best distance so far! I will order some size 10 runners and try that as well. Would like to go as small as I can. So far so good. Really pleased with this afternoon's work!!

Date: May 03, 2009 08:17PM

Report back on how things work for you.

What model Talon surf blank are you working on?

Date: May 04, 2009 05:46PM

GSU1164.

Date: May 04, 2009 05:58PM

What I'm about to say is just on the oft chance that you have not read the article - you do understand that the 27X factor has nothing to do with locating the butt guide, right?

Date: May 04, 2009 06:07PM

Yes of course! My spool is 2.35" diameter which places the choke guide at 63.5" from the face of the spool. If I use a #40 butt guide it falls on the line path at 28 inches from the spool face. With a #50 it falls on the line path at 25 inches from the spool face. I am leaning towards using the #40 and have tested both and see little difference in casting performance. I think the #40 is smoother for some reason. I ordered some size 10 runners and look forward to trying them out. Will know something later in the week.

Date: May 04, 2009 06:23PM

You're on the right track. I've read comments from some that obviously don't know the difference between the butt and the choker guide. Just making sure in your case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster