I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Redoing on of my rods
Posted by: matthew smoot (76.210.43.---)
Date: May 02, 2009 10:45AM

I am redoing on of my falcon rods striped it down to the blank. I want to put a split grip for the handle, I was wonderign how you guys check to see what kinda reel seat and winding check t use. Also has ant one used burled cork instead of regular cork.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Redoing on of my rods
Posted by: David Teague (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 02:34PM

I use a digital caliper when sizing the parts I need for winding checks and such..remember you don't HAVE to use a winding check, you can build an epoxy ramp and use thread to give it the winding check look, also by doing this it gives you more options for colors to match your cross wraps..I use the burled cork a lot for trim and accents on my grips though I've never used it for an entire grip material...might look pretty cool.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2009 02:35PM by David Teague.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 03, 2009 12:19AM

Burl as a total grip is kind of cool But can be over powering

Good Wraps Bob

Re: Redoing one of my rods
Posted by: matthew smoot (76.210.35.---)
Date: May 03, 2009 03:32PM

I decided to just use it as and accent piece

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 04, 2009 03:41PM

I use full burl on ALL of my personal rods for the following reasons: I love the unique look, it is harder to the touch than real cork, as well as heavier. I like the weight because it gives my rods a lighter feel in the tip without having to epoxy slip sinkers inside the butt end of the blank; it changes the balence point of the rod. It is also very durable and does not need any filler, so the grip looks newer longer. If you put one coat of grip seal on it, it completely soaks into all the little fissures and makes the grip virtually indestructable.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 11:16PM

Greetings Matthew and all,

I have re-guided many times with favorite spinning rods and
o clearly, I would never re-guide a rod unless the blank shows a requisite quality threshold (ie our time is too valuable for junk).
o most frequently, I have re-guided to shift from COF to NGC layouts; and thereby gain in qualities available with NGC.(eg better performance).
o its, also , a terrific opportunity to 'clear-out' any unwanted characteristics which I may have observed from 'regular use' after an original 'build'. Yes, indeed.
o About Handles: I have rarely done a change-out of handles.The few exceptions have been when the handle was actually 'THE' problem.
Or a related issue is when a rod can't be 'sight-fished' because its spine appears mis-aligned.
I saw a symptom: whereby, for example, lure placements were landing erratically.
I stripped that one 'bare', re-spined and re-guided it, and thereafter, this rod sight-fished quite well.

After that, I'll strive to have the line-path and the spine in the same vertical plane (akin to the geometrical idea of co-planar).
And lastly, would be when a handle is, way, too short or too long.

I hope this helps,
Bob Marie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster