I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plate reel seats -- uplock or downlock
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.nvnet.org)
Date: May 01, 2009 10:26AM

When using plate reel seats is it best to position for uplocking or downlocking. To clarify...uplocking would have the adjustable clip below the reel (toward the butt) and downlocking has the clip above the reel (toward the tip).

Is one more stable?

The application is on a surf plugging rod.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plate reel seats -- uplock or downlock
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.nvnet.org)
Date: May 01, 2009 10:53AM

I have mostly done them uplocking but I have been rethinking my practices of late to examine "why?".

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 11:37AM

why because the fingersw are more sensitive than the palm by uplocking the seat will sit in the palm leaving your fingers to "feel" the rod... by downlocking you will only feel MAJOR vibrations through the extra part of the plate

At least thats what I was told years ago by a builder and it seems to be true
PLUS if uplocking if it comes loose then the reel is "pulled"into the fixed hood not the moving hood so you wouldn`t lose the reel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2009 11:38AM by allen forsdyke.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 12:39PM

I don't do many, but they are always uplocking in the event that crappy locking mechanism fails the reel has a "safety" net with teh fixed hood in teh front. lol - if Scott needs to feel the bite of a 40# Bass exploding on a pencil he needs to take up a new sport.

Scott - some reels do not fit well in teh plate seats. You might need to wrap electrical tape around the reel feet. I think specifically with VS's, but I might be wrong. I'm also assuming you are using the LS7 plate which has cushioned hoods.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 01:12PM

I did mine uplocking mainly because it fit my hand better that way.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 01:46PM

LOL@ billy I meant the sensitive little nudgy touchy bites

BUT we have sorta different fish over here

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 04:10PM

Downlocking using conv reel not as much metal under fingers

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 04:10PM

Downlocking using conv reel not as much metal under fingers

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 03, 2009 01:38PM

I use the uplock position on my 11"6 surf rods with spinning reels. Never had a problem, even on 40 lb. reds.

Posted by: Darrell Worley (173.67.226.---)
Date: May 05, 2009 09:31AM

I have always done down locking on my conv.without any problems .. I am a newbie and I am rethinking after reading this post.
but have pulled in a bunch of big reds and a couple of 5 ' sharks like that..You don't even know the reel seat is there...only been on the rod
a couple of years but no problems so far..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster