I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sanding rubberized cork
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 10:58PM

I have been having trouble sanding grips that I assembled using rubberized cork with standard cork. The standard cork sands so easy that it always ends up smaller than the rubberized stuff. What are your secrets?

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sanding rubberized cork
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:01PM

A sanding block ... make your own or buy one. You have to "force" a level surface.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:07PM

Steve-
I glue different grits of sandpaper to paint paddles to use as sanding blocks. Their length gives you a nice handle. Free at H. Depot. They are often warped-glue two together with concave surfaces facing each other and clamp-they will come out flat that way. You can put different grits on opposing sides and get a 2 fer.

Posted by: Gary Amis (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:09PM

[www.georgescustomrods.com]

see this link - start with a file then progressively finer sand paper

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 05:57AM

Thanks guys, I'll be trying it out real soon.

Steve

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 07:22AM

I will shape my cork grips and rubberized butt cap before even reaming to fit the blank. I press fit the pieces onto a drill bit, chuck it into a drill with a constant speed control, clamp that in to my WorkMate bench and that becomes my shaping lathe. Once the grips are shaped, I will then shape the rubberized butt cap to match the diameter of the rear grip. I like to use Tru-Oil as a finish and apply the desired # of coats on the cork only, again, before reaming the grips. I'll open up the hole in the rubberized butt cap on the flat side that will butt up against the rear grip so that a small section of the rod will be seated in the rubberized butt cap. I then ream the cork to fit and follow normal standards for gluing up the completed handle parts.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 02:04PM

The possibility of blank damage while shaping on the blank I think is to great. I always shape off the blank and then ream to fit.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 07:52PM

I find that drywall screen makes quick work of the rubberized cork. You can cut it to different sizes to suit your needs. If you need you can hold it at a 45 deg angle (across the work right to left or vise vera) and work back and forth in this manner to achive a more evenly sanded area. Doing this puts the screen evenly on both surfaces. I have also noticed that by keeping the screen very tight it helps in the rigididy and this also helps keep an even sand. Good luck.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 10:30PM

Steve,
Any time that you have different grip materials - use a backing board with your sand paper.
Different grip materials normally mean different density and a different degree of hardness. If so, the harder material will always be tougher to sand than the softer material.
As a result, if you don't use a backing board on your sand paper or finishing device, you will gouge out the softer material first.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Richard Forhan (67.161.178.---)
Date: May 02, 2009 12:23AM

Rubberized cork is tough - I use a 1 HP grinder (outside the shop) and grind it close (on the rod) - then file a little - then sandpaper - works well for me.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 05:48PM

Thanks for all the advice, I'll try it all. I just finished a set of split grips for a spinning rod where I mixed rings and it looks great. I was able to use a 18" disc sander and get it all real close. Some final sanding and it looks good. I just picked up some paint sticks from Home Depot today and will be building a couple sanding sticks.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster