I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat for handle finish?
Posted by: Matt Kamer (174.6.105.---)
Date: April 30, 2009 05:04PM

Hi all,
I have made a few rods now and added my own yellow cedar handle to one of them. I have been using varathane classic coat spar varnish. I would like to know if using flex coat would be better. (I may also be incorporating some antler into my next handle.) Also, Is flex coat essentially the same is thread epoxy?

Thank-you in advance,

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat for handle finish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2009 05:07PM

No, it won't be better. Epoxy isn't really made for a top coating on items like that. Guys do it, some like it, but overall a clear urethane or some type of oil or wiping varnish are going to be better for your wood handles.

If you have one that didn't turn out as you wished, and wanted to do an experiment with the epoxy on it, you'd know pretty quickly how well you liked it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 05:17PM

Matt,
I can only say that you might give it a try and see if you like it.
Many, many boat paints are two part epoxy paints that make wonderful waterproof, uv resistant finishes.
Having said that - if you don't want to use a urethane varnish, then you might try a 2- part epoxy boat paint for rod handle finish -- rather than flex coat.

The problem with flex coat - is that it is a bit on the thick side - even the light coat - for a good penetrating finish into a handle.

---
For any finish that you put on a handle, you want to investigate its properties to be sure that it is resistant to the effects of sunlight.

For example, many poly clear finishes which excel indoors and for hardwood floors are very poor with respect to sunlight resistance. If one uses one of these indoor finishes on an outdoor deck, you will find that it will be all peeled up in a couple of years from the sun.

================
Note:
here is a nice link that speaks of outdoor sunlight resistant finishes.

[www.systemthree.com]

Good luck.
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 05:19PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 05:30PM

I made a full wells grip coated with Thread Master rod finish that turned out pretty good.
I thought it might be slippery when wet, but it is actually grippier when wet. Go figure.
See the grip here:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: fred schoenduby (67.126.85.---)
Date: April 30, 2009 06:29PM

Matt...Roger is right on...the key word is "penetration"... with WOOD it must penetrate...CORK is another story. I have tried numerous ways and found that on WOOD that if I used exterior polyurethane {two Coats} followed by a light coat of Flexcoat Lite, this looks great but then so does multiple coats of Tru Oil, Polyurethane etc. The poly plus the Flexcoat is alot less time consuming. CORK seems to be very good with Flexcoat and again alot faster and easier than multiple coats of Poly or True Oil...EXPERIMENT...EXPERIMENT...EXPERIMENT and find what you are happy with.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 07:00PM

Matt,

I did a handle with Flex Coat just to see how I would like it. I used a low grade of cork rings with a lot of pits. The Flex Coat filled the pits nicely and actually had a little character. All and all, I did not like it very much. I much prefer Tru - Oil.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 07:07PM

While I understand that the oils and polyurethanes will penetrate the wood thus sealing it from the elements, doesn't epoxy get you to the same end result...a wood handle sealed from the elements?

I know some folks prefer a satin sheen on the finished handle but personally I really like the gloss that the epoxy provides without the many coats required by other methods. If I'm missing something here please let me know.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Kenneth W Price (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 08:13PM

I just got finished with a U of L themed steelhead blank I built for channels, Check the handles out on it,,Slick as glass..I have also used it on several others with outstanding results,, Thin the flex out a little with acetone and use several coats, cures like a rock. I have yet to see one yellow from the sun..

Posted by: Tony Hanson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:59PM

I do wood handles almost exclusively and have had fine luck with two part epoxy. I can't speak for my customers really, but the ones I've made for myself have been very durable through years of exposure to the elements. I certainly don't baby my gear. It's out in the sun and rain etc. a lot through the summer. I have been very happy with it. It is easy to have too high a build with epoxy. I just use a couple light coats and a little carefully applied heat to drop the viscosity and get a smooth glassy hard finish.

I agree with Fred, no matter what you use, a little experimentation goes a long way. I initially experimented with polyurethanes and was having trouble getting the stuff to set because I mostly work with oily tropical hardwoods. Tried treating the surface with alcohol to remove the oils. Still was having problems. So I did some more experimenting with epoxies and developed a process that works fine for me and have now been doing that for years with very pleasing results.

Good luck,

Tony Hanson

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 12:06AM

If you see some of the beautiful work of Terry Hensen, you would be impressed. Go to the photo site about 2 or 3 pages back on the "grips and handles". I believe he uses CA which I have started using on my reel seat inserts I have been making. The final polish can be done to make it satin or gloss

Posted by: David Rogers (---.hurlburt.af.mil)
Date: May 01, 2009 06:36AM

CA (superglue) is where its at for me. Durable, rockhard, great feel...not much else to ask for. I have a very specific process that I like to use that nets me a great finish that I can make glossy or matte. If you want more details about it, you can shoot me an email or if you want, email me your number and I'll give you a call and explain it in detail.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: May 01, 2009 08:36AM

Tru-Oil is what you are needing, 3 or more coats. Gives a beautiful gloss and great protection, no mixing required just rub it on and let dry, lightly sand and put on next coat. I have used it for gun stocks for many years and on my rods for almost as long. If you get adventuresome then try Perma-gloss. It has a learning curve but I apply mine as the handle turns, it takes at least 3 coats.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 12:14PM

there are many good finishes and each have their strong points and weaknesses. i believe there are much better finishes than rod finish. my experience is it will scratch/scuff very easily and if there is any resin to the wood it will react with it. oils, urethanes, ca, ca/blo are all good. i use different finishes depending on the type of wood/material and finish look i am trying to accomplish. Petri offers a polyurethane gel that is wipe on and has uv inhibitors. it is very easy to apply with a wipe on or on the lathe. good luck with your endeavor

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2009 02:03PM

Matt, road test this link I got from Mark Blabuam. [www.penturners.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster