I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread color on Black amtak matrix
Posted by: Dick Ross (208.94.82.---)
Date: April 29, 2009 12:06PM

i am building a black matrix 4 wt for a customer. We are using black SLF guides and hook keeper. Reel seat and winding check are gunsmoke with black insert. The handle is a ash/walnut/antler handle. He wants to keep it "stealth". I was thinking of going either black w/gray trim or maybe gray w/gold? What are peoples thoughts on these or what other color or combinations woudl be good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread color on Black amtak matrix
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 12:40PM

I'm just finishing up a little black 3wt AmTak and I went with a total stealth approach. BFLG Batson guides, black hook keep,
AmTak AW12B-BG Black Aluminum Reel Seat with black woven graphite insert. Wraps are all plain black with the only colour being my buddies name in metallic gold woven into the butt wrap. Unfortunately when I ordered the guides I ended up one short and need to find a few things to order to make it worthwhile for shipping.,

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 01:10PM

I just finished a 2S60MF last night. I used black thread with a grey trim and it looks great. The black thread blends right in with the gloss black finish and the grey thread trim wraps add a touch of class without being flashy (in my opinion). I can post some pictures if you'd like.

jeremy

Date: April 29, 2009 01:22PM

That would be great. I thought about the all black but I want something to break up the wraps a little plus I am going to add a wrap 18" from the butt to measure with so I need something other than black and gray would work.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 01:45PM

A neat option IMO is candy apple red nylon, no preservative.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 02:00PM

I sometimes wonder about "stealth" rods. A long glossy black stick waving against a blue sky does a good job frightening fish regardless of the thread color. Of course, if he likes the subdued look, that's fine.

Jim

Stonefly Custom Fly Rods
20 Vaquero Rd
Santa Fe NM 87508

www.stoneflyrods.com

Date: April 29, 2009 03:28PM

Dick,

I just posted some photos for you. Hope they are of some help. I have several customers that have requested stealth rods as well. They want function, not flash.

@Mr. Benenson, I think that if you are standing over a fish waving a rod around, you are going to scare the fish no matter what color blank (matte or gloss) or thread you are using. The stealth rods that I've been asked to build are not built that way for fear of spooking fish, they are built that way because the customer wants a simple, non-"hey look at me", no fuss look to the rod.

Jeremy

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 04:14PM

Actually, Jeremy, saltwater flyfishing great Del Brown, the acknowledged master of permit fishing with a fly, has been spray painting $500 factory flyrods with flat black paint for years to prevent flash and reflection off the rod from spooking shallow fish. If it is good enough for Del Brown, then there is probably some merit in it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 07:31PM

My favorite is garnet, with or without CP.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 10:06PM

Adam I'm sure you're right. It's been my experience that while fishing my local small trout streams, it's not a good idea to wave a rod overtop of feeding fish. I have no doubt that Mr. Brown knows what he's doing and I'm sure that he's had great success doing it.

Jeremy

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 10:45PM

I'd go with Pac Bay Navy Blue and Metallic Gold trim. No CP. I've done this on a couple of black fly rod blanks and it looks real sharp. I didn't over do the gold trim, just an double inlaid trim wrap at the butt section where my decal went (similar to what Scott Fly Rods does) and double inlaid turns on the female end of the ferrule wraps. It looks kinda dull indoors but get it out in the sun and the navy blue thread shows up just enough to offset against the black blank.

Date: April 30, 2009 10:20AM

Thanks Jeremy for the pics and everyone else. After talking it over with the person who it is for he ahs decided on the black and gray(gunsmoke) thread combo. I have used the garnet before and have also used a purple on black before both are quite sharp.

Date: April 30, 2009 03:39PM

Dick,

Glad to help.

Jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster