I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What speed motor to apply thread finish?
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 11:41AM

I have a 15 rpm finish motor but I think finish would be applied better with a higher speed. What speeds do you apply finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What speed motor to apply thread finish?
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 11:51AM

I use a 200 rpm setup from Flex Coat to apply and then my dryers are 4 and 6 rpm. I was able through one of the suppliers on the left purchase just the motor and chuck setup of the Flex Coat system FM200.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 11:57AM

Wow much faster than I imagined.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (220.255.7.---)
Date: April 29, 2009 12:03PM

i use my sewing motor.. but without the dimmer, my speed is not consistent...

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 08:26PM

John,
I use my power wrapper to apply finish at speeds up to 200 rpm.
After applying slowing down and smoothing and tapering, I transfer to my long term dryer of 6 rpm.
The high initial speed allows for a very quick application of the finish - and then a transfer to the slow long term dryer.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: April 29, 2009 11:07PM

and ...i use the motor to mainly finish the wrap ends where i want a nice clean edge.. the wraps itself is finished manually

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 11:13PM

John, I don't apply my finish with the blank rotating. I put the finish on by rotating the rod by hand. After all the areas are covered and I remove any bubbles with a straw, I allow it to sit for a few minutes so any excess will move to the underside of the blank and I remove the excess and rotate the blank 180 degrees and let it sit again for a few minutes and remove any excess and level the finish across the wrap. Once I am happy with the finish I'll turn on the power and let it rotate till dry. I use a small good quality brush to do this. I think I found this way to apply finish in T Kirkmans book. It took a bit of practice to get used to but I noticed a profound difference in how my rods came out compared to trying to put the finish on when the blank was being rotated under power. Especially from a low RPM turning motor. If your concerned about how the ends of the finish will look and need to even them up, use a damp coffee filter folded. I dampen the filter in Denatured Alcohol and use the fold to touch up the edges. If the finish is starting to tack up you can use a heat gun to soften it up enough to get the job done. A little heat goes a long way! Experiment with a junk blank. Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster