I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank search
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 05:54AM

looking for a 7' medium action spinning blank for shakey head fishing mostly. 8-12# line
any suggestions.
saw something i thought would work but customer don't want to go the st. croix prices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank search
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 08:42AM

Jim,

Would your customer be interested in something like the Mud Hole Custom Builder Blanks? They are very inexpensive and are of great quality. I just built two muskie rods on their IS701H and I have been very pleased with them. They have a IS701L that may be worth looking at. It's rated for 8-12 lb line.

jeremy

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 09:46AM

Where I live we do a ton of shaky head fishing. The best blanks that I have built on yet are the Lamiglas XMG 50 popping blanks either LP843 or LP844. These blanks have absolutely nothing in common with what is normally considered a popping blank, they are extremely fast action with very thin light tips, they are very light and still have lots of power in the butts. For shaky head fishing I like the fastest actions that I can find to get a light enough tip to cast light weights, sometime when you are around docks or such you can only make a tiny little flip cast, but still have enough power in the butt to be able to get a good hook set and get them away from any cover they may be around.

These blanks are also quite reasonably priced, I have an LP843 with LSG3.5 running guides that is my new favorite spinning rod.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 08:12PM

Ummm, forgive my ignorance, but what is shaky head fishing?

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 10:32PM

Shaky Head fishing uses a jig head and plastic combination. Some of the Shaky Head jigs are small and light and others are 1/2 oz. Plastic can range from anything like a small flick worm to a full sized worm or creature bait. I catch lots of big bass on a 1/16 oz jig head with a 6.5 inch Yamamoto Kut Tail worm. It's a deadly combination. In fact, I lost one the looked like it would go over 10 on Tuesday and caught an 8 on my Shaky Head rig. I throw mine on a fast or extra fast 7' rod with a very soft tip.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 08:48PM

Sweet, now I think I understand. Thanks guys

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 10:01PM

The IS701L might be a little soft too soft. I have some of those blanks in the shop. Most shaky head baits are texposed and you need a little more backbone than exposed hook applications. I have been collecting data from various places and these blanks were mentioned as shaky head blanks. I use an ISJ781 or an ISB822.5 and both are a bit too light IMHO, but I am not a shaky head expert by any stretch. I plan on making myself a Lamiglas XMG LP843 to try.

3C68MXF
RX8+823
ISB802.75
Loomis SB 811
3C69MLXF
LAMI XMG LP843
LAMI XMG LP844

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:04PM

I have all of the above EXCEPT the Batson blanks (2nd and 3rd) ... the first is my favorite, by a long shot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster