I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro fly rod build
Posted by: chris starr (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2009 02:02PM

micro fly rod build
looking to build a micro fly rod on a 30" blank
found this for a reel seat/handle
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]
but it's 10' long ( a full 1/3 of the total length). Too long in my opinion.

Any advice on shortening this seat/handle? would like to take it down to 5-6"
Cut down with a fine blade saw in a miter box? sand to re shape?

any one else make a micro fly rod?
something like this:
[www.jaustinforbes.com]

Thanks in advance for taking my new obsession to the next level of madness!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro fly rod build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2009 02:06PM

As a custom builder, you can shorten, reduce, cut, chop, etc. to your heart's content. Best bet would be to make the grip up from rings and get what you want on the first go around. But you can certainly modify a pre-formed/shaped grip if you like.

Date: April 28, 2009 02:21PM

Never built a grip from ground up. (new to rod building- one kit under my belt). Have plenty of hand tools, but no lathe any advice on shaping cork grip and installing rings? wanting to learn how to do it all from the ground up! since this is a small grip it might be the best project to practice on...

Date: April 28, 2009 03:14PM

Then you can use a miter to shorter the grip to your liking and then rasp/sand it to general size and shape. Follow up with finer and finer grades of sandpaper.

Or, buy a 4 to 6 inch foregrip designed for a spinning or casting rod and rework that. MIght be even less work.

Posted by: bill boettcher (72.251.106.---)
Date: April 28, 2009 03:49PM

If you have a drill -- you have a lath ! Home Depot has threaded rod that can be used to glue your rings with. Wing nuts and washers.Scrap blanks are good for turning arbors on your drill.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 28, 2009 04:19PM

Bill,

That's a good tip, thanks. You probably helped a good many builders with that one.

Date: April 28, 2009 04:48PM

something like this?

[images.google.com]

Can cork handle be worked to size after gluing on a dowel or a smooth metal rod?

This NEWB Might need a bit more info on this.

Might be a silly question but how does one get the slip rings on to a cork handle? (like the kid in million dollar baby-"how did you get the ice in the bottle?" lol!)
Do you glue up 2 halves work to size insert rings and glue together?

thanks.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Date: April 28, 2009 04:50PM

Once you glue it to a dowel or rod, it's there forever.

I would do as Bill suggested. Use a threaded rod and snug the grip up with washers and nuts. That way you can get it off after the shaping operation is over.

Date: April 28, 2009 05:12PM

AHHHH, so its glued AND shaped on same threaded rod... got it!

Will be stopping off at lowes on my way home... see what I can find.

Thanks for the info.

I'm SURE I'm going to have more questions!

Date: April 28, 2009 05:49PM

No, don't glue it up on the threaded rod - you'll never get it off.

If it's already pre-shaped/formed, you can put it on the threaded rod and snug it with washers and nuts.

Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2009 08:08PM

Threaded rod is the ticket Chris.
Until a friend of mine bought a lathe and started producing custom Center Pin reels I was using threaded rod. Now that I have access to his lathes I can use mandrels and more suitable techniques.... but the 1/4" threaded rod and sandpaper works wonderful for the investment cost!

Posted by: Gary Amis (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 11:05PM

Chris - here is an article on hand shaping.....I think you will find it easier or as easy - [www.georgescustomrods.com]

Also here is how you gluer up - [www.georgescustomrods.com]

Posted by: chris starr (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 07:52AM

awesome! picked up some threaded rod, wingnuts and some large 1 1/4" washers.

probably going to order my cork rings today, and possibly a 30" blank i found.
anyone have a source for slip rings to make reel seat. haven't found any yet.

thanks for all the info. might build this micro as practice before my 9' 5wt.

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 08:14PM

Anglers Workshop has the Struble Rings you need.

Posted by: chris starr (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 07:30AM

thanks adam

Posted by: Eric Petersson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 04:56AM

10 inches is about right for a rod grip. Gives you a six inch handle and a four inch reel seat and butt. You could take it down maybe 1 inch. Five inches doesn't leave much space for your hand. I'm not sure that messing with it is going to do more than blowing eleven bucks for you when you find out that it's unuseable and you need to buy a second one.

I think you'd be better off rolling your own, so to speak. On a really short rod I'd maximize the grip by keeping it cylindrical for most of it's length and just rounding over the tip hemispherically at a point equal to the radius of the grip's diameter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 05:06AM by Eric Petersson.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 06, 2009 12:11PM

For clamping, the easiest way that I have found is to modify a standard bar clamp [www.rodbuilding.org] The only thing that I have changed since this pic was taken is to eliminate the wood supports and just put the hole and slot directly in to the clamp heads. Use a waxed (rub with a candle to hel prevent the epoxy from sticking. Any wax stuck to the cork will be removed when you ream) piece of threaded rod. Glue the rings up (I use Titebond) clamp it tight and you're done. I useually remove the rod after it starts to set up but you don't have to, it just makes it easier for me. If you do happen to get the grip stuck on the threaded rod, just put the end of the rod in a vice and unscrew the grip.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 19, 2009 02:16PM

laying up my first cork handle for micro fly rod.
it's 5 1/2" long, with brown and orange closed cell craft foam trim rings
reel seat is going to be Tennessee style graphite slip rings (need to order)

hand shaping begins tonight...

have 2 different blanks need to do a wt test on them tonight to decide which one I want to use.
36" very fast action. 30" very slow...

hoping to use the 36" antiquing the white blank down to an antique white with a few coats of spray helmsman spar varnish.

Quick question on color preserver....

planning on using dark brown, peach and gun metal Gudebrod Rod Wrapping Thread.
does the thread darken at all with color preserver...
I would like peach to be a bit darker, but Don't want the dark brown or gun metal to darken most of the wraps will be dark brown, next few wraps will be peach and a final trimwrap or 3 of gun metal. would it be possible to coat all wraps with color preserver... Except peach?

any tips for applying isolated color preserver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 11:53PM by chris starr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster