I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hello from a Newbie
Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.sip.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 12:44AM

Hello everyone, just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I'm a native of south Mississippi, and I just turned 30 years old this month. I seemed to have gotten "the bug" as soon as my b/d hit. Now, all I think about is building my own rods! I've never done this before, but I am really looking forward to getting started.

I grew up fishing in old oxbow lakes full of cypress trees, and subsequently we had to be careful to keep our rods on the shorter end. By that, I mean 5'6"-5'10", TOTAL length. And the baitcasting rod that I use is 5'9", and that includes an old-fashioned rubber pistol grip, like you used to see on casting rods before cork became so popular. This rod was a custom job itself actually, a gift from my dad when I was a kid. It is awesome, and I plan to model my first custom baitcasting rod after it. However, I am having trouble finding any casting rod blanks less than 6' in length. If anyone knows any vendors who sell shorter casting blanks, I would really like to find out about them. I've searched both here and at other forums to no avail. I'm sure they're out there though.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and tell my story. I'm brand new at all of this, so I will probably have a lot of questions. But I will try not to ask bothersome questions before using the Search and Library functions first.

Thanks all,

Bobby N.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hello from a Newbie
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 01:04AM

Welcome to the addiction! You didn't mention any other specs, post your line, lure and action requirements and the blank recommendations will follow. I think your best bet with the length issue would be to find a more common 6 to 6 1/2 foot blank and cut it down to the length you want. Good luck

Steve

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 02:40AM

Try Batson Rainshadow call Karry and he can tell you where your closest vener is. Becarful cutting a blank. Too much off the Tip and you well lose your action, too much off the Butt and you loose your power

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 10:31AM

Unhide your email address Bobby (Control Center) or email me by clicking my name.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: April 28, 2009 10:41AM

Bobby I would try a St. Croix 2S56MF MED FAST 6-12 1/4-5/8 available at Custom Tackle Supply (or Others I'm Sure). It's St. Croix's SCII so it's affordable. Yes it's on the lighter side but great for spinnerbaits and flukes. I grew up in lower Alabama and fishing the same way. I will tell you once you go with the new style rods, 6’ or better with the longer handles you will like them.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 12:43PM

Welcome to the fix, I know how you feel, I was 31 a year and a half ago when I built my first fly rod, I have since done 13 including two bamboo rebuilds, not all have been great but all have served well to catch fish. I just broke my first build in two places and pitched it, it was my own fault from lack of care in transporting but I LOVED that rod and intend to build another soon just like it, all be it a better build now. Point is, don't get attached to them, it can lead to a tear jerking experience. I am in east Arkansas so I know your fishing conditions well, they are right about the St. Croix SCII you will love it. I do more fly fishing for bream crappie and bass (trout about 2-3 times a month) and an 8 ft fly rod fits best but you could do well with a 6-6'6" rod as well, and it will open your options a bit.

Date: April 28, 2009 01:57PM

Sorry about the miss spelling, it should have read. Try Batson Rainshadow call Karry Batson they have a toll free number. Karry can tell you where your closest vender is located. Becarful cutting a blank. Too much off the Tip and you well lose your action, too much off the Butt and you loose your power

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2009 07:09PM

Welcome Bobby,

You may take a look at Mud Holes CRB blanks. You can get them from 5' 6" I believe in 5 different colors.

Cody,

Shame all over you for pitching that rod!! Never throw broken rods away keep them in a barrel in the corner for repair stock, among other things.

Bill in WV

Date: April 28, 2009 10:13PM

Bill is correct NEVER throw away old broken blanks. Heck I use some for manderals, pluse repairs then there are the guides

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 07:32AM

Bob,
Tell me again about the spell check program. How does it work for you? lol

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.sip.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 05:20PM

Thanks so much everyone for all the info. It's great to be at a place where folks seem eager to help out others just getting started in the hoppy.

Steve, here's the setup that I figure I will be using 99% of the time:
Line: 14 Lb. test
Lure: 1/4 -- 3/4
Action: Mod-Fast or Fast
Power: Medium to Med-Heavy

Raymond, I fixed the email so it shows now. Thanks, am looking forward to hearing from you.

Gabe, I took a look at the PDF chart of St. Croix rods that I downloaded from customtackle.com. On that chart, I didn't see a 2S56MF model? Maybe I'm blind though. All I saw in casting rod blanks similar to that was the 3C56MF model, which was in the next higher line of models. I know about needing to go to a longer rod. The problem is though, a lot of times my casting occurs in very confined areas (under cypress limbs, etc.), and the shorter rod serves my purposes better for that. That being said, I have also used a short rod when worm fishing in an open lake, and if the fish were biting good, I would've gladly traded my cooler and water/gatorade supply (and this was in JULY) to get a longer, stiffer rod for better hooksets.

Thanks again everyboody for the help. I look forward to getting to know ya'll.

BN

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 07:03PM

Bill sense I started using spell check. I do not recanize my own posts let alone be able to read them

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster