I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

50th Birthday Fly Rod Ideas?
Posted by: Ross Andersen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 27, 2009 07:10AM

Hi Guys:

My best buddy is turning 50 in a couple of months. He is an avid fly fisherman and I thought I would wrap him up a nice 5 WT fly rod. I was thinking of some gold eyes and some gold writing on the blanks. Any other ideas to make it special?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 50th Birthday Fly Rod Ideas?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2009 07:49AM

If you read the article in RodMaker that featured Terry Henson, you might recall how he makes rods special by doing something that personally connects the rod to the user. If your buddy went to a particular school that he still has fond memories of or ties to, you might incorporate those colors. Was he perhaps in a branch of the military or did he participate in some business or civic group that has strong memories for him? If so, a wrap or inlay that features certain colors or insignias might do the trick. Anything you do that will cause him to remember something personal each time he takes the rod out will make it all the more special to him.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2009 09:31AM

You also might consider a rod that he doesn't have now that he might use if he did have it. I bet if he's an avid fly fisherman, he's got a 5 wt now. If you've fished with him and he complains about a particular rod, then you might replace it with a special one you've built.

And then, by all means apply the special features that Tom mentions above to make it even more unique and a gift he will always cherish.

Terry

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 27, 2009 10:19AM

Lets say your buddy was born in '1959". I sometimes go to a 'Stamp and Coin' shop and purchase a penny of the same date when someone was born. A 1959 won't cost much. I then inlay it in the butt piece of the rod. If you want to get even fancier you can feather inlay the guys initial over that. Makes it really special and only takes a couple more hours.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: April 27, 2009 12:31PM

Maybe a nice Grim Reaper weave on the butt. LOL

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Ross Andersen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 28, 2009 06:23AM

Thanks guys! Good suggestions!

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 02:41PM

Ross

Send me your e-address and I'll send you a photo of a neat 40th anniv. rod I made for our fly fishing club where I had the reel seat laser engraved.

Wayne

Posted by: Ross Andersen (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 06:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster