I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Taper offset
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 26, 2009 06:15AM

Sorry to ask another stupid question.
I know the late cliff hall explained it to me but unfortunatly he passed on before I could pick him on it
When you offset a pattern and it takes say 10 threads to close at the butt it wont accept 10 at the tip it only wants four maybe five

Question is how do I get round it I`ve tried closing to the top then burnishing hard that left gaps
I`ve tried closing the butt and overwrapping the tip that looked nasty and the threads rolled

My problem is is a pattern is say 12mm long (butt to tip) at the butt and 8 mm at the tip my maths says that at 4 threads per mm then you will have 48 threads in the butt and only 32 at the tip

How is the best way to close or do I bin the taper offset method and just use a mid range straight measurement

Visualwrap shows that they close on T/O but in practice they dont. If I pack the threads to make it close then the T/O becomes pointless doesn`t it because all I`ve done is move everything to square measurment

cheers

Allen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taper offset
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2009 09:56AM

The purpose of the taper offset layout is to alter the spacing between centers to allow for similar room at both ends. I'm not sure if this is the answer you were looking for. I'm assuming you have tried the taper offset layout?

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 26, 2009 11:40AM

yes tom I have tried it It gives a even LOOKING spacing but the maths just doesn`t add up to close a pattern up where it would need say 48 threads to close at the butt it only needs like 32 at the tip so to close it doesn`t seem to want to go

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2009 11:57AM

"it takes say 10 threads to close at the butt it wont accept 10 at the tip it only wants four maybe five "

That's ideal. WRap the threads on top of each other where the pattern is closed, and fill in teh gaps where it's still open. End of problem. I've probably done a couple of hundreds wraps in teh past 9 years, there MIGHT have been 10 that closed perfectly. Of the other hundreds minus 10 - thre hasn't been a single person to point ou thtat I wrapped threads on top of each other, since it's not noticeable once epoxy is put on, especially with dark colors.

Posted by: Wiltz M Ledbetter Jr (---.consolidated.net)
Date: April 27, 2009 02:34PM

I cannot directly solve the problem you are are wrestling with, but I may be able to help you feel better about it.

When I first started wrapping rods 20 years ago, I was horribly confused about why it was so difficult to make a closed wrap close exactly. I had a pretty good background in math and geometry and I was certain that I could develop a mathematical solution to this age-old problem. To make a long story short, I spent a bunch of time trying to develop a geometrical-algorithm that I could put on a computer, plug in the butt and tip-end diameters and let the computer crunch out the proper spacing. What a waste. I might as weel have been shooting at clouds in the dark.

Bottom line, bottom line try to accept several things that I did years ago. 1) The taper offset method that most of us use is, at best, an approximation. 2) Even if the taper offset method was exact, we probably would not have the capability to measure the rod and do the layout work with the perfect precision that would be required. 3) The pattern spacings we get through the taper offset method are plenty good enough.

This can be frustrating, particularly when you are attempting to close a pattern with, for example, multi-colored, even-width chevrons. In this case, wrapping over a pattern which has already closed on one end of the rod in order to close the pattern at the other end of the rod completely disrupts the pattern. If you are closing with a solid color, you might get away with it.

With experience you will be able to tell if the wrap is going to close okay after the first half of the wrap is on the rod. If you see that it is not going to close, do like I do, tear the darn thing off and start over with adjusted center spacing.

Also, I have never been able to do any good at all designing a pattern by using "number of threads per inch". Maybe somebody can, but it sure ain't me.

Don't give up. It gets easier the longer you do it.

See ya

Wiltz Ledbetter, Jr.

Posted by: Steven Paterson (---.nctv.com)
Date: April 27, 2009 11:09PM

Allen

Not sure where you live, but I'll be giving a Seminar on Crosswrap layout at the West Coast Custom Rod Show this coming Sat. If you can make it, sit your butt in the front row and I'll teach you how to do this. It's rather simple. I think i'm batting about 1000 so far.

Steve

www.roostercustomrods.com

Steven Paterson

www.roostercustomrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster