I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2-pc. Fly Rod Repair help needed....
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.156.71.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 25, 2009 08:06PM

I had the tip section of a 2-pc, 10-wt fly rod break about 3/4" above where the bottom blank ends. Very clean break, 90 degrees to the blank. Almost like it was cut right at the end of the reinforcement wrap. (Too much tension on the wrap???)

Normally, I'd use an interior spline, but the location won't allow it. Is my only option to strip all the guides and install an exterior spline?

Are any of you good at doing these kinds of repairs? If so, how much would it cost if I shipped the rod to you? My email is tonyhill@tidalwave.net.

Thanks.

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2-pc. Fly Rod Repair help needed....
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 25, 2009 08:39PM

It almost sounds like a defective rod blank. If the break looks like it was cut and no splinter. I would talk to the company, before doing any repairs,

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2009 08:46PM

Any sort of hard impact in that area could have caused it. How old was the rod? How much use had it seen?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2009 12:57PM

This is also a likely spot for a break if you high stick or hairpin a rod, speaking from personal experience. The ferrule is reinforced, typically and stressing past 90 degrees can cause this.

You'll need an external fiberglass sleeve as noted in the repair article in the library. You may have to make it long enough to replace the old ferrule, depending on where the break is.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Terry

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.156.64.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 26, 2009 04:11PM

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the replies. This rod is about 6 years old. No possibility of warranty claim. It broke during a cast(Not a high-stick break) It snapped clean, right above the top ferrule.

The only thing I can imagine working well is sleeving it on the outside, down to the end of the ferrule, as you mention, Terry. I think I'd leave the old one inside, instead of replacing it, just for a good fit.

Would anyone have any suggestions on where to get a repair piece? Everything I have found so far has way too much taper for a fly rod... I could build up with thread, but I'd rather find a piece with a longer taper.

Thanks.

-TH

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2009 06:08PM

Tony,

Most of us get repair stock from old fiberglass rods from friends, garage sales, etc. You can buy a bundle of repair stock from Lamiglas, or maybe find an inexpensive glass blank to use. No set source, just wherever you can find it.

Terry

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 26, 2009 07:11PM

Tony,

IMHO, you ae thinking along the right lines with the oversleeve. One suggestion......well maybe a couple,,,,,, I would have is, 1) Try to use the thinnest wall fiberglass oversleeve that you can. Remember, your ferrule is already reinforced. 2) Make sure you make a fairly flat taper on the tip side of the oversleeve. If you leave it straight cut, you run the risk of creating another failure point. Tom, If I'm wrong please correct me. As for finding the correct taper repair stock, you can certainly get a lifetime supply from Lamiglass, as Terry stated. But I agree with him also that you would be better served to buy a low cost fly blank that is very close to the taper you need and take your stock from that. Believe me, it won't be money wasted, as there will be plenty more repairs come down the pike where you can use it. Try the un named popular @#$%& site for used ones as well as blanks. They're there to be had for sometimes a song.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.228.167.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 26, 2009 10:26PM

Terry and Bill.

Thanks for the encouragement. I read up on Tom's tutorial, and I'm feeling much better about tackling this repair. Now I'm wondering if an oversleeve will be enough, or should I run a new ferrule up inside the top section and then oversleeve both of them? Would that be overkill? Any thoughts?

Thanks, and I also thank you, Tom for the excellent turorial! I know how much work it is to make a tutorial like that! You convey the thought process behind the actions very well. I REALLY appreciate all of your help to me over the years.

-TH

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 26, 2009 11:17PM

Look up Ralph O'Quin repair article

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster