I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Herter's blanks
Posted by: Mark Hochstatter (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 01:12PM

I stopped by an estate sale today and found a couple of old fly rod blanks. Both are Herter's blanks, one is an RB9S10 and the other is an RB9S20. Can anyone tell me anything about these blanks? I paid 5 bucks for the pair so I am not out that much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Herter's blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2009 01:55PM

Good blanks in their day, which has been some time ago. They'd be either glass, or very early graphite models.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 02:31PM

Can't tell you about those but I have a couple of old Herter's rods which I really liked. Unfortunately I can only fish one rod at a time. I loved that place and the catalog.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 05:00PM

You can rest assured that at the time they were sold-Herter's advertised them as being made of the best available materials, built by the most skilled craftsmen of the day, extensively tested under the most extreme conditions in the harshest environments the planet has to offer and personally approved by Jacques L. Herter himself.
Getting their new catalog each year was like Christmas.

Date: April 25, 2009 08:35AM

These blanks are in fact glass. I thought one of the numbers in the model indicated a length, but that is not the case. I was hoping to find some specs on the model numbers such as weight. I am not a fly fisherman, but I a brother-in-law that wants a very long spinning rod for a special application. One of these may fit the bill.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: April 25, 2009 11:24PM

I happen to have a 1966 Herters Catalog. These blanks are listed as Herter's Handmade Browntone Spun Glass Light Saltwater and Heavy Freshwater Spinning Rod Blanks. The RB9S10 is listed as 8' 6" 2 piece, 6oz Medium action blank for $5.08. The RB9S20 is listed as a 6' 11" 2 piece, 4 oz, Fast tip blank for $4.18. The caption reads: All these spinning rod blanks are to be made up with fixed reel seats, cork foregrips and cork handles built upon the butt end of the blank. All two piece blanks come with ferrules mounted. All these blanks are designed for use with the saltwater and intermediate open face spinning reels. RB9S20 is specially for use as a steelhead and salmon straight handle spinning rod.

That catalog has 546 pages of everything a sportsman would ever want or need.....too bad its gone......hope this helps.

Steve

Date: April 26, 2009 12:53PM

Thanks Steve! That is exactly what I was looking for. Who knows how long these blanks have been sitting around just waiting to catch that first fish!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 10:23AM

If I remember correctly, the term Herter's often used was "finest procurable quality." I used to buy a lot of stuff from that company. It was amazing the quantity of stuff they offered.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster