I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

off subject - leaders fly fishing
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.124.168.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 11:15AM

Hi guys:
I was wondering who makes an easy to straighten trout leaders for fly fishing. The ones I use now are a real pain to straighten out. The butt section is very stiff. Guess there mono. No knots, one piece.
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: off subject - leaders fly fishing
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 12:47PM

Typically I use a new leader only after I have tied enough tippets to it and it is just too short to use. I know a lot of them can be difficult to unwind when fresh. Perhaps I don't understand your question.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 12:57PM

I either make my own starting with 14lb test mono or fluorocarbon and work my way down to 5 or 6 x tippet, or I buy furled leaders, and they are extremely easy to straighten. They are furled from some kind of really small mono Drop me an email and I can give you the guys email address, he sells them for 4-6 dollars each and ships free he makes them to order so just tell him what length you need and what wt rod you are using it for.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2009 12:58PM

Some are stiffer than others, but the nature of the heavy butt sections means nearly all will have some memory.

Wrap the butt section around a tree and pull (don't break it, obviously) to stretch it just a bit. This tends to relieve some of the memory.

I once saw Dave Whitlock running a leader through his hands, over and over. He said the warmth he was imparting to it relieved the memory in the mono.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 01:13PM

A furled leader will totally eliminate your problem, but they do tend to spray when you lift off the water.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.88.157.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 02:58PM

John: that is what I do. I was just trying to straighten out a new leader Climax, Need a better leader.

Tom: i know you have liked Scientific angler for lines, what about leaders ? I ran my hand over this leader butt. Still got to get better leader ?

Then I usually trim off a few inches and then tie a loop on the end. And with a 3-4 lb leader I tie a 2 lb tippet.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Schwitters (64.140.60.---)
Date: April 22, 2009 03:48PM

I run leaders through my hands as well. I grab the very end of the butt section in my left hand and then pull the entire leader through my closed right hand. I agree with Tom's statement that the heat generated via friction helps but it may also be the oils in your hand that help as well. This also stretches the leader some which may help too. I have been doing it this way for 20 years and it works better than anything else I have tried. FYI, pull slowly. You dont want to burn or cut yourself.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-151.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 05:39PM

I run mine through a soft piece of leather slowly several times. I have found this to be the best.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 05:40PM

I love my furled leaders. I can wrap it around the real seat with no memory whatsoever.

Posted by: Clyde Alho (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 06:08PM

I have for many years used a device that I bought from Orvis to straighten my fly leaders. It is a leather covered
rubber pad that you run the leader through with a little pressure from your thumb and index finger. I have not
seen this device in an Orvis catalog for a while but Hook & Hackle has one in their catalog on Page 20. It is
call a Leader Straightener. They are a sponsor listed on the left side of this page. This device has worked well
for me over the years to straighten Trout leaders.

Clyde Alho
The Rod Shop, Inc.

Posted by: Marc Schwitters (64.140.60.---)
Date: April 22, 2009 06:23PM

For what it is worth; I have used those leader straighteners as well and for me anyway using my hands works better. And it is one less thing to buy :-). All of these are great solutions but I figured I would mention it.

Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.185.---)
Date: April 22, 2009 08:53PM

those leaders straighteners do work but an even cheaper version is to simply cut a small section from a bicycle inner tube. try not to use one that's currently on your bike. you could get dozens from one old inner tube and stuff a few in your fishing pack/vest/bag/purse/wallet. but if you had to have the orvis logo....

still, after long winter months in storage, eventual reuse come springtime appears to work for me since i haven't felt the need to straighten a leader in years. maybe you just need to fish more and catch bigger fish??? lol

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2009 08:57PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 10:46PM

The rubber leader straighteners tend to heat the leader material and leave it weaker. A straight pull using your hands that stretches the leader is preferable. A furled leader is best of all. Those made from thread don't exibit any memory and last a long time by replacing tippets as needed.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2009 10:33AM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Matt Kamer (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 11:17PM

I also find the leather method to work best!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster