I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sticky Cork
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 05:44AM

Hi folks, I just started this very addictive hobby this winter and would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information I Ihave received from this site. It has become my second home next to tinkering with rods and my new lathe. Now for my problem. I have been finishing all my grips with Tru oil and then with a couple of coats of Krylon Matte Finish spray. I had this spray left over from spraying over duck decoys that had been repainted. I thought that it might provide a little more protection. All the grips seemed to turn out fine, except the last one I did has a sticky feeling. Last night I decided I would try to eliminate the sticky feeling so I steel wooled, then tryed cleaning with a degreaser, sanded with 320 grit, washed with hot water and soap. The grip is still sticky. I am guessing that my bright idea of spraying over the Tru oil is backfiring or the Tru oil was not completey dry when I sprayed the Krylon on. Any suggestions on how to cure this problem or remove it? I do believe I will quit spraying the Krylon on.

Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sticky Cork
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 09:22AM

Steve,
Wipe down the cork with Acetone - do not get the Acetone on the reel seat.
The Acetone should remove the Krylon finish.

If in doubt - spray a sample of wood with the Krylon and let dry for a couple of days. Then use the acetone to remove it.

I expect that you are seeing a chemical mismatch between the Krylon and the Tru Oil finish.

After removing the Krylon from the cork, just do a light sand on the cork and you should be fine.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 11:15AM

True Oil contains a small percentage of a solvent. Many other products contain solvents as well such as Cork Seal. It may prevent certain things from a final cure. It will be sticky forever. True Oil and Cork Seal are not compatable and I am sure there are many others. I think the additive in True Oil is trichloroethylene. Any cleaning of cork that has filler will soak up small amounts of solvent that will remain for a long long time and prevent top coat miss matches form hardening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 11:17AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 12:03PM

If you are trying to knock down the gloss of the truoil then micro mesh does a good job. Tru oil is primarily linseed oil with additives to make is dry faster and perhaps flow better. It is just better to stick to one finish and only one. From what I have seen on this board many problems come from adding one finish over another which sometimes turns out to be incompatible.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 05:36PM

A light sanding of the grip will remove all you have done so far and let you start over.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 06:04PM

Krylon is not normally used for outdoor applications! There would be no benefit from over-spraying Tru-Oil, it in itself is waterproof and impervious to most grudge encountered while fishing.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 10:08PM

Hey thanks guys for all the good suggestions on how to fix my problem. It sounds like I messed up. I will just stick with Tru oil or Cork seal from now on.

Thanks Again
steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster