I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

not rods, but pool sticks
Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 04:10AM

I know this is off topic... i am a bartender and all the pool players come in on monday's.. i hear them bragging about their pool sticks , and how much they paid for them, which is a lot more than every rod i built (for friends and family) not a buisness. They are very proud of the "thread wraps" on their handles.. and i am sure that i can do better artistic work than the stuff they have.... a halo wrap would be no problem, as well as an simple open wrap. A closed wrap seems imtimiaditing , as i don't have a proper spacing tool.
30 bucks seems to a great investment at this time.. My question is ... have you guys done a wrap on a pool stick and where is a good place to get a bland stick. no disrespect to our wonderful sponsers, but do you guy's sell them? I see a great market here for rodbuilders. There seems to be plenty of tacky/ugly wraps on pool sticks that go for $500+ ... I plan on trying out some stuff on some old cues in the meantime.. advice or expirences would be very much apreciated.

pardon the spelling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: not rods, but pool sticks
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 06:29AM

A lot of the price of a pool que is in the quality of the stick itself and the wooden inlays. You would need to start off with a good stick to get any kind of money for them.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2009 10:18AM

I wrapped a "pool stick" to look like a fishing rod for a freind, a while back. I used a cheapo cue from a local "mart" store. I did a tip wrap & a guide wrap plus some fancy work on the grip end to look like a reel seat & hand grip. It looked cool and worked satisfactory. Later I tried making a pool cue from a pair of rod blanks both cues were one peice one white the other black , I used stand up blanks 50 - 80 Lb.class the smaller white one weighs in at 12 oz. the larger black one @ 22oz. They both look cool and work accordingly lots of offers have been made to buy them, but for now they are priceless ! Look for old cues at yard sales and close-outs, get some and play around ! Have fun ! Larry

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 06:04PM

I couldn't agree more.....

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 02:28AM

for a start, you needn't try tp go with any nylon thread. it is passe'. irish linen is the accepted thread and really it is the only preferred wrap material as far as thread goes. leather is a step up. we pool players are pretty much (how can i not use the word anal) particular about our cues. i have used a nylon "d" thread years ago for a pool room owner, he just wanted a cheap wrap to turn the stick. nothing less than irish linen for me though or leather. maybe cuttyhunk or silk line for some older cues to preserve authenticity.
i do like the varieties of wrap you mentioned. it maybe time for halo and tiger wraps to show up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster