I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone - Aqua Blue Maui
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.nvnet.org)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:12PM

I purchased about 8 pieces of abalone from Scott at Aqua Blue Maui and I have to tell you that the quality is unmatched. The variety and sheen are amazing. I have ordered abalone from another sponsor and I wasn't particularly happy with the product. There is a difference in the product that is out there, and as for me, I will be ordering from Scott at Aqua Blue Maui from now on.

Great customer service.
Well packed.
Outstanding product (pictures do no justice).
Fast shipping.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone - Aqua Blue Maui
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:29PM

I'm pretty sure the Abalone Kevin Knox from Angler's Envy sells is from Aqua Blue Maui. I agree, it's very nice stuff - good to have so many choices to do really unique stuff on rods.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2009 04:26PM

yep that's where he gets it

Posted by: John Chamorro (---.178.44.129.PAT-CA.netvelocite.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 09:49AM

I also ordered some veneer from that same sponsor. Veneer was very nice but then I don't have any other to compare it too. I wouldn't waste any money on the video. Amateurish at best. Way overpriced. I'll try Aqua Blue next time. Thanks for the heads up about the difference in quality.

John

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 10:22AM

Very interesting John.

Have a nice day.

Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 10:41AM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2009 10:37AM

John,

You're free to express your opinion here, as long as you do it in a civil manner. I can respect the fact that you feel Kevin's DVD is "Amateurish at best" but that's not the reaction of most who have purchased and viewed it have. In fact, one very prominent dealer made the statement at the Expo in February that Kevin's DVD is the most professional video product he's seen come out of the rod building hobby. But again, you're entitled to your opinion. I think you could have expressed yourself in a little better manner, however.

It's also important to remember that Kevin did not have to share his methods for working with the abalone on fishing rods. He could have kept it to himself. The fact that he's now attempting to sell some DVDs is no knock on him. You expect to be paid for the work you do, so does he. There is nothing selfish about it. He's providing a service and if he wants to be paid for that service, so be it. I'll refer you back to Dale Clemens, admired by most custom rod builders, who charged a fee for everything he ever disseminated, including the "Learn by Sharing" bit, which cost $12 before you could participate in the learn by sharing process.

Kevin,

I understand your frustration - welcome to my world. But let's remember that we all are bound by the same rules here on this forum. Let's tone it down a bit and remember that most of those viewing these posts are pretty sharp folks and they can see what's what in most instances. You have little need to defend yourself.

Posted by: Mark Kissinger (72.237.206.---)
Date: April 21, 2009 01:17PM

I have seen Kevin's demo in person as a tune up for the ICRBE and he was very thorough in his process of using abalone. I have not seen the video yet, but I can't imagine it being any less informative than his live demo. Before Kevin, I had heard very little about this process and I thank Kevin for his willingness to share his methods with the rest of us.

Date: April 21, 2009 05:13PM

I would have loved to see Kevin's demo live. It would have saved my $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping. It was painfully obvious that the DVD was shot on a home camcorder, therefore my "amateurish" comment. I have copies of Doc Ski's , Flex Coat , and Steve Petri's DVDs . They appear to be professionally produced. This is what I had expected throughout the industry. As for the content, I found it falling short for the novice builder to use especially when it came to the length of time to soak in vinegar, and then applying finish later. The DVD seems to end abruptly after rolling on the veneer and applying the finish wasn't even covered. I don't mean to take pot shots at anyone, even though Kevin chose to do so. I did not initiate the thread. I chimed in so that others could know what my experience was.

John

Date: April 21, 2009 06:22PM

I didnt take any pot shots. All I did was wish you a good day. At least I am in good company with David Boyle of Visual Weave.
Im truly sorry you didn't see value in it. Many have.
Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 09:24PM by kevin knox.

Date: April 21, 2009 06:50PM

Kevin,
You come across like Mr. Innocent good guy. I'm sure the folks you have been bad mouthing would find it interesting . I never said I didn't see the value. Read back , I said it was amateurish. I also added it was inconclusive and overpriced. These are my opinions only. Obviously your opinion of yourself and your product is much higher. Why don't we leave it at that and part agreeing to dis-agree?

John

Date: April 21, 2009 07:02PM

?

Agreed.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2009 08:47PM

I would suggest that participants here read the rules very carefully. I don't put up with this type of stuff and for that reason we have the largest audience in the rod building craft. Don't push these type comments.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 09:01PM

Without breaking or bending any of the excellent rules that has made this forum so popular, I would suggest that anyone interested do a search under John's name. In the short time he has been active here nearly every single post he has made has been critical of a product or person. It is fine to be that way but readers should consider the source and the standard content of such posts. Let us see...... first Rodmaker magazine's website was faulty and full of glitches. Then VisualWrap was worthless, and now Kevin's DVD is amateurish and not worth the money. I have no problem with someone voicing an opinion but when a certain agenda appears to be the intent I would suggest the moderators take a closer look at what is going on here. There seems to be a pattern here.

Date: April 21, 2009 10:08PM

Richard you may be right. As a new builder I am easily led by others that seem more knowledgeable than I am. I definitely am an outspoken guy but it is never my intent to belittle ANYONE. The old saying of if you don't have something good to say,,,, don't say it may apply. I started in the thread on the Visual Wrap because of my frustrations with it. I fully admitted that I'm no computer wizard and even the defenders of the product said it can be quite difficult to learn. Dave was extremely patient but I just never got it.

Speaking of Kevin's product and DVD. I voiced my opinion based on my ACTUAL experience with Kevin and the veneer. I think I'm allowed to throw in my 2 cents worth. If someone had posted earlier what I have come to know and understand then I probably wouldn't have purchased either of these products. Never have I said this or that is a bogus product. I related my opinion and only that. Sorry if my opinion offended anyone.

John

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.214.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 12:33PM

Hey John . . . I think Kevin is similar to a lot of rodbuilders when it comes to keeping our costs down. Professional produced videos, DVDs or whatever are expensive to produce, especially when it's the first one you've ever made. You're not sure how the technique will be accepted or how well the video/DVD will sell. Cost vs profit does make a difference. I have 2 of Doc Ski's videos. Doc still shares info with just about anyone who asks. And I tip my hat to Doc. The fact that Kevin may have produced it with a camcorder shouldn't make that much difference as long as the viewer understands the content. I met Kevin on this website a year ago in January. He shared a lot of info on Abalone inlays with me that he didn't need to, as I was a complete stranger to him. Kevin did a lot of trial and error with these inlays. What you see on this DVD isn't the exact same technique he was using in Feb. & March of last year. My first successfule inlay was done sometime in June last year. Now, most of the rods I build have such an inlay on the rod. I use his instructions to a T. I think Kevin shared his info and technique with just about anyone who asked. I'm grateful to him for sharing with me. I, inturn, will share any info I've picked up on the technique, with just about anyone. I'm in my 70s and don't know how much time I have left in this craft. At some time or another, the eyes wear out; arthritis cripples our fingers and hands; you can't remember where you put that guide you are looking for; or our creator says it's time to come home. I admire anyone in this craft who's willing to share their ideas.

Bob Turpen
Tiger Rods
Dawsonville, GA

"Life is too short to fish with UGLY rods!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster