I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weaving loom
Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: April 18, 2009 10:14PM

At the Lamiglas seminars I was able to see and learn many cool things. Thanks to all who presented methods / shared experience / displayed their handiwork. It was definitely worthwhile! Kerry Hansen brought some of his rods / weaves and his loom. Wonderful work! Have any of you used the loom he was using? If so, any input / ideas? Improvements?
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weaving loom
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 19, 2009 03:04AM

What I can tell you about Kerry's loom is this, the rod stays stationary, you use a bobbin to wrap over and under the weave thread. You need to be calm, clear headed and patient. Kerry's unit well only wrap a pattern on one side. It is a whole different working process than DocSki's or the Wonder Weaver Looms

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2009 10:56AM

It's called a Hanging Weight Loom .......... Kerry and a few of the Master rod builders use them ......... supposed to take a long time to set up but great for color change weaving .......... I have one but I haven't used it yet.. Email me @ rhahn427@yahoo to discuss.

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.warpspeed1.net)
Date: April 19, 2009 02:14PM

I use a hanging wieght loom that I built 10 years ago. It has it's limitations such as the number of design threads you can use and the preparation process takes awhile but for me it is easier to keep up with your threads and to position them correctly so that you don't tangle your design threads in the weave making it diffficult to tighten. I plan to purchase an attachable weave loom for some of my simpler patterns.
Pat

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 19, 2009 03:29PM

Yes my Loom only allows me to weave on one side (plus a little wrap down the sides) of the blank like all other looms except the Wonder Weaver which is 360 degrees. Also mine has to be made unless you can find somebody to make one for you. Mine as I made it will only handle 82 different threads, but allows me to have a lot of different colored threads for each thread number position. All Looms will work well for you. It is more than just moving threads back and forth and then take a turn with your wrapping thread to hold the design threads in place. You must look at each design thread you move to make sure it is laid down in the correct spot. One of my weaves that Tom published on Rodmaker back when He first started using color pictures was my Sturgeon. It was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it took me 31 hour total time including 8 hours laying the threads down to get ready to weave. My latest weave took a total of 40 hours and wraps a ways down the sides blank. and had 11 colors with 10 layers.

Northern pike

Northern Pike
76 threads high, 169 long, 11 colors, 10 layers, 345 total threads.
size 40 medaria design threads and size B black National.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kerry Hansen

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: April 19, 2009 05:25PM

Kerry, thanks for sharing your work and loom. If you had it to build again, would you make anything different from the plans?
Andy K

Date: April 19, 2009 06:14PM

No at the moment I can't think of anything. I didn't have all the materials Art Durham listed in his article so I adapted/improvised. The one variable that you have available to you is how many thread numbers you want it to accomodate. I am so used to it I don't recall changes I made from the origional plans. Look, I want to make it clear that I don't push this kind of Loom because it is good for my ego that others are using it or am I pushing it because I sell them. I first used tape then made my own loom that attached to the blank all when I first started doing weaving for Silohuete and multi-color weaving. When Art wrote the articles on Color Change Weaving and showed how to make the "Hanging Weight Loom", that is what I built and what I have used since I started Color Change Weaving and I am satisfied with what I have. The major drawback with my kind of loom is trying to travel with the loom set up on a rod and having all those weights hanging in place. I find the weights have a mind of their own and do some incredible weaving all by themselves which take a great deal of effort to un twist/weave the threads. ;>) A major pain. So I understand the limitation and work around it.

I posted the weave that I mentioned earlier. This is my most time consuming weave.

Kerry

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 20, 2009 10:59AM

Kerry ....... I would love to see an article concerning the finer points of using this loom ......... from the few articles and postings on several boards, there are some incredible weaves that have been done with this loom and competitions won by the few that learn how to use it. It seems that the tips and the techniques have been closely held and some have been buried with the weavers that used it ............ I have both of the articles and I'd even buy a book on it if it existed but it doesn't and there is very little info concerning this.

You may not have the time or interest in writing an article but I'm throwing this out as food for thought ...........

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.arkleg.state.ar.us)
Date: April 20, 2009 11:57AM

Kerry, Stan Lothamer (Easy Weave Loom sponsor) built a few hanging weight looms and quickly discovered the problem with "tangling" of the weights. He attached a piece of carpeting to both ends of the loom. You might want to contact him for thoughts/ideas. His e-mail addy is on his web site.

Date: April 20, 2009 12:58PM

Thanks Clyde

The only time I have really expeirenced much of a problem with this is when I tried to set up a rod ready to weave on to save the time by laying down the design threads then travel to some place with it like the last Woodland, WA Seminar at Lamiglas. I work arround this one problem, but I don't really have an issue with it tangling when it remains stationary in my Rod room. As far as putting down the carpet, I believe I understand what Stan is doing, but what I don't want to do is put anything on the Loom that would block my vision so I couldn't look down thru the clear plexiglas protractor ends and see the different colored weights when I am picking up a new thread that is one of many at that particular thread number spot that are very close in shade/color. The different colored weights for each color of thread help me get the correct thread. I will contact Stan to check with him in case I am guessing wrong about what he did.
Thanks
Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster