I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gremlins at work WHY
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 02:25PM

Finished putting epoxy on rod last night.
Sat with it for an hour and fifteen minutes turning by hand
Sat there watching it in the dryer for another two hours forty five mins NO problems
Went back five minutes later to find rod had jumped from the end rest and fallen out of the dryer

Makes me laugh really sit there with it all that time and the second your back is turned gremlins throw it about.
Why cant they go and play somewhere else

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gremlins at work WHY
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 02:41PM

i guess they gremlins got you b/c I wasn't working on a rod last night, lol

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 02:47PM

You could always invent and market a "Gremlin Getter"

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 03:03PM

LOL, that must have been the same gremlin that was at my house on Wednesday! I had just put the first coat of Flex Coat on my 2C66MHF (I set it up as a spinning rod) and it was looking good. I put it on before I had to go to work and then ate breakfast and got dressed. I was at the door ready to leave when I heard a crash from the basement...my heart sank. I knew what the sound was. I rushed downstairs to see my freshly epoxied rod had fallen off of the dryer. I attach the butt of the rod to a grill rotisserie setup (I use it for drying muskie lures but it doubles as a rod dryer) and it had come loose and fallen off. The tip was still sitting in the "v" notch of the cardboard box (thank God!) and the fighting butt was resting on the floor. The only part of the rod that was damaged was the epoxy on the tip-top where it had touched the box.

Fortunately it was an easy fix and the rod came out great. I fished the rod this morning before work and it casts like a dream! I set it up using BYAG 30, 16, 8 and BLAG 4's for runners. Sweet rod, close call!

jeremy

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 05:33PM

...almost same scenario a couple of weeks ago, Murphy struck. Rotated a just-finished rod by hand for a half hour or so, making sure everything was leveled and looking good. Flipped on the dryer and left for work. Came home to a mess. Found that the plastic cable tie that holds the outer portion of the dryer on slipped off, rotated it's merry way four feet or so up to my first V support, and coated about every mm of the rod in collected finish on it's way. It turned into a long evening with a bottle of denatured, for the rod that is. ;)

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 06:32PM

those gremlins work in wierd ways, i was very excited about my last rod, even had to lay out more distance markers, went into shop to get some survey tape to mark the new distance,
I am sitting here with a cast on left ankle. to add insult to injury i had to hobble back out into the field and get my rod.
good news since i can't work guess what i am doing with all this spare time

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 07:00PM

LOL you gotta lovvvve them gremlins aint ya

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2009 07:20AM

I think they live in my home, and just go to yours on occasion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster