I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What to soak brushes in
Posted by: Ernie Cavitt (---.knology.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 11:30PM

Whats the best solvent for suspending my brushes in? I have been using acetone but seems harsh and it evaporates away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to soak brushes in
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 11:55PM

I use medium temperature lacquer thinner, I get from Home Depot.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 12:11AM

I use this method. first wipe all excess finish off with a paper towel, then wash in denatured alcohol, do this 3 times wiping in between wash. Next wash brushes in water and a little dawn licquied soap. rinse off and let dry. I have brushes that I have used over 5 years and these brushes cost about 8 bucks a peice

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.mghl.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 01:09AM

I use U-40 Brush Cleaner. You can use the solvent to both clean and soak your brushes.
It works very well, AND they are a board sponsor.

[u-40.com]

Walt

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: April 17, 2009 05:25AM

Metho,

Wash the brush, dry it. End of story.

I too found using acetone was not good for the brushes.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 07:32AM

U-40 brush cleaner.

I have an artists brush station which consists of a cup for the solvent, a mesh screen in the cup for solids to settle under, and a wire "goal posts" with a coiled wire around the crossbar to hold the brushes verticle in solvent.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 08:35AM

Flexcoat Epoxy brush cleaner.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 08:53AM

I find the trash can to be quite effective - after I cut off the end to be used as a stirrer for the next batch.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 09:07AM

I'm with Bill. I buy cheap brushes (applying epoxy) and/or use strips of foam (applying PermaGloss). I throw everything away, when I'm finished. I figure I don't need to breathe any additional toxic fumes. Diposable brushes are available through some of the sponsors or Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 10:13AM

I'm cheap....even with flex coat brushes. I have a small jelly jar that I drilled a hole in the center of the lid. The hole is just large enough to suspend the brush about 1" into denatured alcohol in the jar .

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 10:19AM

I use very expensive Sable brushes (today it would cost as much as $100.00 a brush) for the past 30 years . I first wipe off the excess finish with a paper towel as Robert Balcombe suggests and then I put it into a Acetone bath for about 20 minutes to loosen up the finish from the hairs. The last step is a good soaking in hot water that has had liquid soap (Ivory or similar) for about an hour. Rinse it off with cold water to get rid of the soap and then wrap it in paper towel for a few hours.

My brushes range from the very small to the 2 inch brushes I use for the but wrap. The Sables I bought many years ago are very hard to find today because not all the Sable brushes are true Sables but a mixture of a few sable hairs with other hairs.

This method works for me as my brushes are still in great shape and believe me I have used them many times in the past years

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 04:16PM

I'm with Bill. But buy my brushes at the Dollar Store at 24 for a dollar.

I also use the break-off-the-tip method for my subsequent stirrer, or did until about six months ago when I found some wood lollipop sticks at 300 for $1.00 which work great. (Quantum leap in technology).

Other dollar store items are the foam paint brushes at about 12 for a buck which work well for recoating or painting blanks with a nice thin, non-lumpy finish, and the rubber and plastic gloves to keep the strong (chemical) epoxies off your hands, used most often when installing grips and seats and the messy runoff from that process.

Still on the subject of affordable technology, I use a soda or beer can turned upside down as the perfect stirring cup: it pools the epoxy in the middle nicely, and there is a nice rounded edge on the sides to wipe your brush on before applying the finish. One thing about these: I thoroughly clean the cup with rubbing alcohol to remove contaminants just before pouring the epoxy in.

With any of these: use once and toss.

Whit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster