I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Simple spiral bumper guide
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.37.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 03:23PM

Im about ready to wrap my first simple spiral.Butt guide is a double 12.Bumper and 1st 180 were intended to be double 10s but after taping up and looking at it a #8 double with a low frame sure looks better for the bumper.My question is ,is it ok to use that smaller guide between a 12 and a 10?My 1st 180 is that double 10 followed by 2 single 8s and on out with single 7s.My fingers are too big and my eyes too little for them micros.It casts better than I hoped like this. Thanks SONNY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simple spiral bumper guide
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2009 03:31PM

It will be fine. You might also try making the first 180 a size 8 or a size 7. It needn't be larger than the rest of the running guides.

Nor do you need to use 8's followed by 7's - just make them all the same size.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 05:23PM

Make them as small as you can. I screwed one up with big guides and I just couldn't get them out of my mind, looking at them all the time. I finally took 4 guides off and made them all 8's. Casts just as well and doesn't look goofy. I finally just fish with the rod rather than obsess over it.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.37.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 06:08PM

What frame style is low but heavier than a BLNAG.That is what my doubles are but the frames look very flimsy.I may just change them all if I can find some I like better.Im using BLAGs for my singles and BLNAGs for the doubles.What about that 12 for butt,double foot 8s for bumper and 1st 180 and single 7s to the tip?Will those blag 7s be ok?This is a pretty serious catfish rig,bigger fish very likely.

Date: April 16, 2009 06:11PM

If you're going to do that, dump the 8 on the first 180 and go right on to 7's. Unless the blank is a very large diameter and you need the larger ring to help keep the line from touching the blank, there is no reason to use so many sizes. It doesn't do anything for you.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 10:09AM

Just so I understand better, Bruce mentioned in the initial post that he was doing a simple spiral. If I understand the simple spiral correctly, there is no bumper guide, just a straight transition from 0 degrees to 180 degrees. Therefore there will always be line touching the blank between those two guides, even though it generally won't affect casting performance. If I'm wrong let me know

I'm doing my first simple spiral and I want to understand the process before I start attaching guides with epoxy. So far I've just got the micro guides taped to the blank to determine best performance.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 10:10AM by Chad Huderle.

Date: April 17, 2009 10:16AM

The Simple Spiral wrap incorporates a "bumper guide" (this term came from the article which Bill Colby wrote) to keep the line from rubbing the blank. It is not essential nor is it a transition guide. It is not part of the regular spacing, but is an addition to it.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.173.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 07:39PM

Chad it goes 90-100 degrees halfway between butt guide and 1st 180 per the article in rodmaker.It suggestad if the rod flexed considerably down the blank into the butt to put it more toward 100 degrees.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster