I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru oil question
Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.102.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 08:08PM

I have done a few searches but still can not answer my own question.
I have not used Tru Oil yet but I will be using it in the next few days to seal my grips, question is this, I am using a mixture of natural cork, red burl and burnt cork on the same grip, what would be the procedure for doing this ? I read the bottle several times but does this apply to cork the same as wood?
Thanks, Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru oil question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2009 09:40PM

It wasn't made for use on cork but it will work. You're going to have to go by feel a bit on this. Much will depend on the depth of finish you want on your finished piece. Tru-Oil is a wiping varnish and dries hard and clear and can be used in multiple coats to build depth.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 10:54PM

Rob it will work the same for all the types of cork you mentioned. Application would be the same for all. Personally I like to apply it with my finger. Dip finger in , rub it on until the finger starts to " drag" a little, then dip again. Go over the grip completely, let it dry, then repeat process again. As Tom stated, you can add as many coats as you want , depending on the depth of the shine you desire. After it has been used for a while and gets scratched up, you can rub on another coat and it's as good as new again. The reason I use my finger is ; I can get it in all the little nooks and crannies by rubbing it on with my finger. In essence, you will get better penetration than if you used a brush or a rag. You are actually putting it on under pressure. Make sure you get all the dust off before applying the Tru-Oil.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 10:54PM

I very often use Tru-Oil on all the cork types you mentioned and find I like the results. I use it primarily to both seal the cork and bring out the color(s) and find one coat does both quite well. I apply with my fingers on both cork and wood while turning on my lather slowly, them wipe any excess off with a coffee filter.

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.102.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 11:11PM

Thanks for all the reply's, I have almost finished shaping my grips and I think tomorrow night I will start applying the Tru Oil.
Other thing is, will my red burl still look red? or will it just turn darker?
Thanks

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2009 12:14AM

Tru Oil generally has very little effect on the color of cork in my experience. I have only done five grips with it, but follow instructions above and I think you will be happy.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 14, 2009 01:32AM

I suggest you try each piece with a coating of tru oil because each of those pieces will finish slightly differently as well as sand differently. The burnt cork will also darken the surrounding cork and clog up the burl if you are not careful to clean the grip. A clean red burl cork grain will be greatly enhanced by the tru oil. The difference with and without tru oil is stunning. One piece of each cork is a cheap price to pay to see if you like the results. The more coats you apply the glossier the finish. I fine sand between coats using Micro mesh. Also the MM can take some of the gloss off and achieve a more satin like finish if that is what you are after. The good thing is you can always sand it off and refinish. A little experimentation goes a long way.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2009 07:40AM

Rob,
If you want to keep a lighter color (more original color) of the cork apply a coat of the sealer first and let that dry then apply the Tru-Oil. I apply it with my finger also. I have applied up to 8 coats with Tru-Oil and the grip looks great and cleans well also. The grip will become very smooth and glossy.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2009 08:28AM

I fish from a float tube and my rod cork handle is generally wet. I have found that the Tru-Oil finish does not seem to cause the handle to be slippery when wet. I also apply the finish with my finger. Over time you can lightly sand and re-apply the fimish for a new look. I always tape the reel seat and rod when applying the finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 08:29AM by Dave Wylie.

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2009 08:38AM

I know its it bit off subject but has anyone used the tru oil in a spray can?

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 14, 2009 02:37PM

I have used it in a spray can when building gun stocks but only as the final coat. I would hand rub on as many as 28 coats, wooling between coats then shoot a final coat with a spray can. Sure makes Circassian Walnut look good. But you got to rub it in first to get all the penetration into the pores you can get. Same thing would apply to cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster