I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Halographic Decal Problems
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: April 12, 2009 05:17PM

Ok, for the last couple of days I have been trying to work with the halographic decals and I have come across two problems that i cannot solve. First and foremost the one that is giving me the most trouble is that the decal media seems to thick or stiff, or rigid or whatever because I cannot get the decal to bend easily enough for it to stay stuck on the blank. The edges keep on pulling up all the way around, I am pretty sure that a bigger blank with less of a curvature would not present with these problems but I am trying to apply them at the absolute widest part of the blank and I have triedwrapping over the entire decal with thread and leaving it overnight so that it would be shaped to the blank by pressure but still as soon as I take the thread off it still pops back. I have tried to put CA glue under the decal but that made a mess of problems that I really do not want to talk about. So does anybody know if there is a way to soften the decal or have an adhesive to add that will make it stick better that won't squish out from under the decal. Or obviously if I am on the wrong track all together, anybody that has used these things with success I would really appreciate your help.

Also, I have trouble with keeping ink around the edges, it seems like I cannot get the ink to adhere to the surface of this media like the waterslide and peel and stick vinyl media. I have tried adding a generous coat of Krylon, and colored in the chipped spots with permanent marker but I am just having trouble. And in case it matters I am using an HP ink jet printer that is pretty nice but nothing special by any means.

Any help would of course be appreciated because I am wasting my media and my time trying to fix all the problems that are created with me trying to make this stuff work. Oh ya I wonder if the waterslide decal softener would work on this stuff, but I have a feeling that it would either mess up the adhesive or take off the already precarious ink.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Halographic Decal Problems
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 05:43PM

James

First. What is the name (or part number) of the holo media you are using? From your descritption it sounds like you have the wrong type. If you are using Texac Craft paper, the best choice is the holographic silver shine. If you are trying to use the Hyper plaid it is extremely hard to use on smaller blanks. The packets sold at the ICRBE contained silver shine.

Keeping the ink around the edges can probably be attributed to one or more of three things. First, what did you cut it with? Sissors equals poor results. A sharp rotary cutter is best. Second, how long did you let it dry? Several hours is appropriate and overnight is the best. Third, did you pick it up by the edges after you cut it out? Don't do it. Slip something underneath to lift it up. All three of these issues are covered in the article.

The printer is probably not your problem and there is no need to use anything but uniform coats of Krylon and I have found that that is not absolutely necessary once you get the basics down. I haven't used Krylon since just prior to the big show.

Posted by: John Barbee (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 05:44PM

Don't know about the peeling up problem, but as far as the ink not staying. I was in a seminar with the guys from Swampland and they said that after you have printed the label, you should let it dry for 24hrs. before using. This may help with the ink problem. There is suppose to be a list of info on there website under "read this first", or something like that. Good luck.

Rodbuilding, cheaper than therapy.

Date: April 12, 2009 06:22PM

Ok, yes I did get the hographic hyper plaid from Texas craft paper, glad to know that I bought the wrong stuff, but at least I know what to get now. Thanks for the help, and I will look for the holographic silver shine and I will let the ink dry longer and I will use the rotary cutter that I just bought specifically for decals. I will also be more careful with the way that I handle the decals. Thanks guys that I what I needed.
James

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 06:52PM

James

Glad to know we are making progress.

Suggestion, Lance with Swampland is running a special on their remaining show packs. I'll bet if you called them they would be happy to send you a free pack just to get you back in business sooner.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2009 07:57PM

James,

The problem with getting the stiffer papers to adhere to the blank without lifting and curling was covered in the article. I assume you have read about using the "clamp?"

Date: April 12, 2009 11:27PM

Tom, I have read and re read that article, apparently, I need to adjust my medication because I do not remember anything about a clamp. I will re read it again tonight. Thanks a lot everyone, even though I am glad that there are reasons for my problems I was kinda hoping that I was making a simple mistake because of a brain fart, less to fix. No such luck. Thanks everyone.
James

Date: April 13, 2009 08:21AM

Page 17. Specifically titled "Holo Papers." There are 4 photos that go along with it showing how to clamp the edges of the stiffer holographic paper.

On very small rod blanks this may still be a tough one and the Holo Shine media may be better for you. The article has all this information.

Date: April 13, 2009 08:40PM

Ok, yes I re read it last night and even though I must have missed that part I did exactly that and left it over night to no avail. I think that for the most part I will have to reserve that type of halo paper for my future salt rod projects. Thanks everyone, big help as usual.
James

Posted by: Joe Johnson (67.50.47.---)
Date: April 14, 2009 02:05PM

Which issue is this article in? I'm very interested in reading it. Sorry to be redundant if this was mentioned elsewhere.

Date: April 14, 2009 03:51PM

Volume 12 #1.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (67.50.47.---)
Date: April 16, 2009 12:44PM

Gracias

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster