I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

13'-15' two piece surf
Posted by: Christopher Hansen (---.pressenter.com)
Date: April 11, 2009 11:26PM

I'm looking for a two piece surf rod in the 13'-15' range for throwing up to 8 oz of weight, prefferably made of composite or graphite, not glass, any suggestions would be nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 13'-15' two piece surf
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 12:45AM

Take a Look at CTS Surf Blanks, Look on the Left for Fishsticks Scott will set you right up

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 11:16AM

CTS makes a few Surf rods. You also could check with Talon which are all graphite or I have an old All Star Hawaii surf s-glass/ graphite composite. The problem with these are the butt diameter is extreme and They aren't easy to find now. Lamiglas also makes the GSB162 1MH one piece and the GSB 180's are 2 pc. I have no experiance with these big Lami blanks!!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 01:13PM

Hi John,

"Lamiglas also makes the GSB162 1MH one piece and the GSB 180's are 2 pc. I have no experiance with these big Lami blanks!!
"

I have a little experience with the 180s. I was impressed when I first cast the GSB 150 2MH. The tip was excellent and I believed it would work very well on a longer handle of equal length to the tip. Lamiglas made the 180 for me a couple months back and it has been in the final rod stage for that time. It is now the Hawaii "Oio Special". It is a long distance, small game rod. (small game being Ulua to about 40#)

It made it's first public appearance on March 28 & 29 along with 2 additional great new products from Lamiglas. There were about 12,600+ in attendance at the first "Ocean Expo" held in Hawaii. The "Oio Special" received a lot of attention and smiles at the Expo. People were impressed by the light weight, action and back bone. The Oio Special is built on the new GSB 180 2MH blank using Alconites with a size 16 tip top. The reel seat is a size 26 in Fuji. I believe the website lists the tip top as a size 8. I recall using a size 10 when building the first prototype. (I could be wrong).

Conclusion:
The GSB 180 2MH is a good quality blank at an affordable price and is made in the USA by a great company.

For a little less bias, you can call Brian's Fishing Supply (808.596.8344). Brian did some field testing for me and provided valuable input.

Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2009 01:42PM by Don Becker.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 05:18PM

I second the CTS option, I would also suggest looking at batsons line up. Their ratings are off on the SUR line of rods, so little questioning may be in order to get the blank you want. I also really like AFAW

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 07:55PM

Christopher, The CTS Blank you are asking about is 13'6" rated 8-12oz. Please give us a call and we can help you out. I have some in stock, I also carry the Batson and Lamiglas blanks. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.193.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 08:56PM

Christopher, you might take a look at Mudhole.com and their " Custom Builder Surf Rocket" blanks, specifically the 12 1/2 foot LSB1502MH, a blank made for Mudhole by Lamiglas. It's a two-piece IM6 graphite blank which weighs 11 ounces and is rated to cast 6-16 ounces of weight. I believe you will find the price ,quality and service to be attractive.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 09:54PM

CTS , or Rainshadow by Batson , you will be happy with either one . Give Scott at Fishsticks a call

Posted by: Christopher Hansen (---.pressenter.com)
Date: April 15, 2009 10:02PM

Thanks for the help but, most of the blanks you guys suggested were a little out of my price range, and the mudhole surf rocket is a little too stout. I did find a Seeker 15' two piece surf blank which, is at the upper end of my price range, and was wondering if anybody has had any expierience with it. The butt diameter is 1.58 in (which is rather large but wouldn't bother me) and I can't find a butt cap or reel seet large enough to fit it . If anybody knew where I could find one to fit it or knows of something else I could use as a butt cap I would appreciate the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster