I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I'm Going In
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 09:37PM

Ok,
Being a fly rod builder, I'm diving in and going to try a tiger wrap (first time)on a spin rod a buddy wants me to build for him. Any input from anyone? I love venturing into the unknown the first time, guess that's what keeps me doing this!! Bill I like the T shirt idea on another post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm Going In
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 10:50PM

The full tutorial just got posted in the library at the top of your page.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-15rh16rt-16rh15rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 11, 2009 08:02AM

It's not a tutorial..... it's both of the original articles. Look in the online library on this site an pay attention to the tips and tricks listed in the articles.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2009 08:35AM

Folks can call them whatever they want. The point I think Bill was trying to make is that these articles contain a lot more in the way of advice and caveats than any of the shorter tutorials that have made the rounds on the internet. Within them you'll find the considerable experience of the 2 guys that have been doing these wraps longer than anyone else. Take it all to heart and you'll be fine. Have fun.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 11, 2009 09:49AM

Dave are you talking about going to shows with a shirt with your name on it ? Figured it was the cheapest way, maybe you could also make up fliers and give them out, IF they allow you too.
Business cards you can keep in your pocket.

On that wrap try this site also [rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2009 09:55AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 11, 2009 11:16AM

If you're attending fishing shows wearing apparel with your rod building business name on it, you're stealing from the show promoter and those who have bought booth space.

Anyone that wishes to benefit monetarily or business-wise from any event should pony up to the table and buy booth space. That's the fair and proper way to do business.

Posted by: jorge george (---.dhcp.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 11, 2009 05:24PM

I'll get some eggs and tomatoes ready Tom. Let me know where and when and I'll be there!. LOL.

Date: April 11, 2009 05:27PM

I can appreciate the humor, but I'll tell you that the one thing vendors at such events hate the most is the guys who will not contribute to an event by buying booth space, but who will walk around trying to drum up business via their clothing and business cards. That's just plain stealing.

It that's not what Dave and Bill are talking about then I apologize for even bringing it up. But if it is, my recommendation is if you want to sell rods or make business contacts at an event, do the right thing and buy booth space.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 11, 2009 05:42PM

Back to Dave's post...the directions from both Bill Colby and Scott Throop are easy to follow and a great deal of fun to do. Thanks again guys. I just posted my first one, it's fun messing with different colors without really knowing what it will turn out like. Go for it Dave!

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 12:09PM

Tom,
Apology accepted, I would not and hope no one else would do just what you have mentioned. I was reffering to having some shirts made up with business name on them and phone # to wear around in public or when fishing. So that brings me to think that maybe everyone should not wear any clothing at any shows that have any manufactures name on them either. This discussion could go in many directions and go on for quite some time. So to put it to rest I have the issue which explains the tiger wrap and also I was not meaning to wear any business logo wear at a show to promote without having a booth.I just thought having some shirts made up was a good idea that Bill had. Which goes back to puting up the dough to advertise. Grant ,I'm going for it.

Date: April 12, 2009 12:14PM

Having apparel made to advertise your business when you're out fishing or to provide to your customers is a great idea. Sorry we got off the original topic.

I'm sure you'll have fun with the Tiger wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster