I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I Knew This Would Happen
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 07:55AM

Ok, I've been building fly rods for the most part and now a friend has brought me a 71/2 ft and an 8ft 1 piece spin rods to build for him. He has all the components (great). Cork tape grip (no problem). Problem is where do you locate the reel seats on the rods? Any certain distance from butt end. I have read Mr. Kirkmans book "Rod Building Guide" and understand to test cast the rods before deciding on placement. But before doing this anyone have any starting locations. Great book Tom! If you are starting out, get it period.
They will be used for plugging. Since my buddie is the infamous Popper Ed !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I Knew This Would Happen
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 08:42AM

On a spin rod the handle or in this case the cork tape goes on the very end of the blank, or butt.
If the owner does not know how long of a handle he wants, tape on a seat about 8-10" from the butt and have him cast it to see if he likes it ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 10:04AM

Bill is right on.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 10:17AM

Dave,
Depending on rod length, the back butt of the spinning rod can be anywhere from about 1 inch - for a mooching style rod to about 2 1/2 feet for a very very long spay rod.

A typical 5-7 foot rod will have a back grip of 6-10 inches.
In particular, most 6/ 1/2 foor rods will have a back grip of 7-8 inches, a 7 foot rod will have about an 8-9 inch grip and an 8 foot rod will have about a 9-11 inch back grip.
Then the reel seat, and then the fore grip if any.

With some of todays new split grip rods, you simply have a weighted butt cap to compensate for rod length - a bare section, or cork or thread wrapped section, a very short 2-4 inches of back grip - long enough to rest the back of your hand and then the reel seat.
With some of todays rods, that is it. i.e. no fore grip in front of the reel seat. Possibly an epoxy ramp, or finishing ring in front of the reel seat.

Good luck and enjoy.

Roger

p.s.
If in doubt - just go into a rod store and take a look at a large array of spinning rods in various lengths and actions - place them in your hand to check the balance - with no reels on the rods. This gives you a very good idea of the typical rod - and its general setup.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2009 10:20AM

Have the fisherman bring you whatever rod or rods that he's currently using for this same use/technique. Ask him how he feels about the current handle length and if he'd like it a little shorter, or a little longer. This establishes a baseline from which you can move shorter or longer and be better assured of hitting the length that will best suit your customer.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 04:46PM

Ok, Great thank you everyone for your input. I owe you guys!

Posted by: Stephen Gilmartin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2009 10:54PM

Since you mentioned cork tape I am assuming this is a saltwater rod. Most likely used for trout fishing. Nearly every trout rod I have built are between 7-8.5'. All of these have had the reel seat between 16 and 22 " depending on the user. I am 6' tall with a 76" wing span so my arms are a bit longer then most. so my seats tend to be a bit further out then typical. I would bet that an 18" seat position would be a great starting point but have him try it out before you glue it up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster