I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sharpening Stones
Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 02:24PM

I am looking to purchase sharpening stones for lathe tools, hand planes, and an axe. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which type are the best and most useful? I have done some looking and have seen several different styles and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Thanks,

Matt White

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharpening Stones
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2009 02:35PM

It you want an all-in-one complete system, the Tormek is hard to beat. It's a water wheel system and the thing that really sets it apart is the range of accessories that allow you sharpen about anything from lathe tools to plane or router blades to even scissors. They hold the item at the precise angle and pretty much make sharpening as easy as it can possible be. The system isn't cheap, but it is top notch and will last a lifetime. There is very little you can't sharpen with it.

They have recently introduced a slightly smaller and less expensive model.

Either way you go, the Tormek system is highly regarded by serious wood turners and wood workers.

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 04:15PM

Thanks Tom,

I think I am looking more for hand stones though. Eventually I might go with the electic system, but for now I want to use hand sharpening stones and wanted advice with what works best.

Matt White

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 04:56PM

Matt-
Hand stones will surely work but tool sharpening is almost an art. Its not hard to ruin good tools-could become expensive-as Tom said angle is everything and a system that uses water lessens the chance of overheating and changing the properties of the steel in your tools. Good stones are not cheap. At least by hand you will be going slowly.

Chris

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: April 09, 2009 05:03PM

I use Japanese water stones that I picked up from Lee Valley Tools (Google it).

Specifically, I use:
1000x/4000x Combination Water Stone (for skews)
1000x Water Cone (for outside edge of gouges)
4000x Water Cone (for outside edge of gouges)
4000x Traditional Slip Stone (for inside edge of gouges)
Double-sided leather strop with the Veritas honing compound.
Veritas Sharpening system for skews and other straight edge chisels (also great for hand plane blades)

The hardest part is the first time you create the edge.
I rough my edges to my preferred shape on the grinder, taking great care not to overheat them, and then work the edges on the 100x stones until they are perfect.
I then hone a secondary bevel at 4000x and strop.

Regular maintenance only requires re-honing with 4000x & stropping.

Most of all it just takes practice in getting the angles consistently correct.

Walt

Date: April 09, 2009 05:46PM

Right, such stones are more for finish honing and burr removal than they are for shaping the initial edge. The Tormek has a stone that can be changed from coarse to fine grit with their surfacing stone (takes about 5 seconds to change grits on the same wheel) and a leather strop for honing.

I can appreciate someone wanting to do it by hand. I would assume what Walt listed is good - Lee Valley has a great reputation for quality products. Good luck.

Date: April 09, 2009 07:02PM

The one thing I would say is that I had initally intended to do it by hand to save money. If you go to the Lee Valley site and add up the prices for all that I list above, you will see that this is a fair chunk of change that would get you pretty close to the base level Tormek system. If I had it to do over again...

Walt

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 10:32PM

If you want to do it by hand, do a google search for scary sharp.

Date: April 10, 2009 12:41PM

Yes, the scary sharp method is good, and cost effective, but a little difficult to use for gouges. But there is probably no better way to put an edge on a plane blade!

Posted by: Matt White (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 01:40PM

Gouges seem pretty hard to sharpen due to their shape. Maybe I am wrong but anything flat seems way easier to sharpen. Guess I need to buy a dvd demonstration to see how it is done.

Matt White

Date: April 10, 2009 01:44PM

With the Tormek, there is a gouge attachment that keeps the angle correct during the entire process. It's an almost foolproof sharpening system.

But again I know you're aiming at doing things on the flat stones. You'll get the hang of it after a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster