I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon Fiber grips?
Posted by: Derec Mercer (---.soc.mil)
Date: April 08, 2009 01:50PM

I would like to learn how to build carbon fiber grips. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start?

S D M F

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Fiber grips?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2009 02:00PM

Here is where they were unveiled to the custom rod building craft: RodMaker Magazine Volume 10 #6. A subsequent article on another method for sleeving them appeared in Volume 11 #4.

In a nutshell, you are using carbon fiber sleeving to skin an underlying grip of either foam (carbon foam grips first appeared in Volume 10 #6) or cork. This is accomplished with the use of a wetting epoxy on the skin and a final protective outer layer of urethane (some use epoxy) on top of the skin.

It's not hard, but there are some procedures you should be aware of.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: April 08, 2009 02:07PM

In all seriousness, Derec, almost anything you want to learn or any rod building technique you see on the \'net came from one of these- [rodmakermagazine.com]

I have no business connection with the mag at all. But compared to the little bits and pieces you can pick up on the \'net the mag articles are very complete and go into great details with great photos. In the long run it may be cheaper to get the original and researched information than to stumble and stagger through the processes. You can waste a lot of materials if you don\'t start with good info.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: April 08, 2009 02:08PM

I will also mention that MIke at Riley Rods has most of the stuff to get going with for carbon fiber grips.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2009 02:20PM

Mike and Vikki Pedersen of Riley Rods were at the expo and they can hook you up. They are listed on the left in the sponsor column. I bought from them and they are great to work with. My experience with the foam and carbon fiber is that it is lighter more durable and less expensive to use. I love the rods I have the carbon on and so do my customers.

Craig
Back River Rods

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2009 02:21PM by Craig Freeman.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2009 02:51PM

Derec;
Tom and Peter have given you the best advice.
I had actually purchased the materials before the article because I had been up at Mr Kirkman’s shop and seen what he was able to do with the stuff.
But did not actually start working with it until I had read the article (was not planned that way just worked out to be so) But if I had started with the ideas of how I thought things should be done. I would have wasted much money and material redoing what would have been wrong, screwed up, or less then satisfactory results.
I too suggest spending the money to get your hands on the past issues to get a good start in the right direction. It will be cheaper in the long run and lead to a lot less frustration.

Posted by: Derec Mercer (---.soc.mil)
Date: April 08, 2009 04:50PM

I just ordered a copy of Volume 10 #6, thanks for the help.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2009 05:38PM

Posted by: John Zarski (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2009 05:50PM

I just ordered one to, after seeing the Riley's Rod page. That's some cool stuff!!

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2009 10:41AM

can you put carbon fiber grip directly on a bare blank or it is too soft and wouldn't protect the blank one bit?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2009 11:21AM

It's not soft, it's as hard as the blank.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2009 01:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster