I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bad Finish??
Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 12:35PM

Bought a new kit of Threadmaster in Feb. at the Expo. It was clear when I bought it. Now the Part B has turned VERY dark. OK to use?? I thought this product stayed clear?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad Finish??
Date: April 07, 2009 12:36PM

Here is a photo [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.192.---)
Date: April 07, 2009 12:39PM

I've got several bottles of AMTAK in the same condition and everything still works well. Mix some up and try it on a piece of blank that will be hidden by the reel seat.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2009 12:41PM

Looks like it has seen a BUNCH of UV light ... that is definitely yellow. It will work from a technical point of view, but I wouldn't use it on a white blank or white thread. Darker blanks and threads won't show the yellowing nearly so much - especially when you consider that you are applying it in a much thinner thickness than the bottle diameter.

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 12:43PM

it is absolutely ok to use...it happens to every finish that I have ever used over time and when mixed and put on most and darker wraps it looks clear but as Jim said on white blanks and thread you will notice it

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2009 12:46PM by David Teague.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2009 12:45PM

It's not bad and it'll be fine for use. All epoxy hardeners will darken to some extent. How quickly they do so depends on a several factors, including light and heat. But it's going to happen and it happens to them all.

Please also keep in mind that when you look through a bottle you're looking through a very thick cross section. If you were to pour out just a little onto a countertop - similar to the thickness you'd actually have on your wraps, the darkening wouldn't be nearly as apparent. Someone on the forum here once compared this to the color of beer in a glass (amber) to how it looks if you spill a little on a counter or bar top (clear). The difference is the thickness you're looking at.

Date: April 07, 2009 12:46PM

It was stored in a DARK cabinet. No light could get through.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 01:36PM

If it were me I would mix a batch and see how it cures and if it cures to your liking. In that picture even the resin looks a little off color. The problem is you bought it to start out with a clear finish not a yellowed finish.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 02:29PM

WEll.....I've gone through a couple of different bottles of TM, and mine ar enot stored in a closet, rahter out on top of my bench. It does not get any direct sunlight, but some light comes through the window - none of teh 2 kits I finished have looked like that, nor does my current bottle I got in January. They did yellow a little bit, but it took a while. THey were definitely not amber like that.

I don't know how fast you go through finish, but if I got a bottle like that to start I wouldn't use it, becasue it's just going to get worse and darken more and more. If it darkened like htat over the course of a year +, it wouldn't be as much of a "problem" for me.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: April 07, 2009 06:04PM

I have about 1/4 of a 4oz bottle of TM Lite where the hardener did the same thing. Unfortunately I lost the lot # sticker off the bottom (got stuck to the table... oops) or I would have followed up more.

For what it's worth, I'd used 3/4 of the bottle. Walked out one day and it had changed colors. My finish sits on the rod bench in plain view.

I was thinking I contaminated it... now second guessing that.

I posted a comparison: [www.rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Date: April 07, 2009 06:38PM

I doubt it. All the hardeners will darken to some degree. The UV inhibitors which are used in some hardeners to help inhibit this, will themselves add a slight color cast to the product.

Your product is fine. What you see there is normal.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: April 07, 2009 08:55PM

i had my TM regular for 2 yrs plus and it doesnt look that dark. in fact, its the least discolored hardener i have (FC Hi and Lite, LSS, Classic Coat)

all of them are kept out of direct sunlight

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: April 07, 2009 10:19PM

WEll the picture is not doctored in any way. That is what it looks like, Very dark. I used a white piece of typing paper for the background. It is white and not off color in the picture so you know the rest of the colors in the picture are true. Maybe the finish is bad after all.

Date: April 08, 2009 08:40AM

No, it's not bad in any way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster