I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Work Area
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (207.58.240.---)
Date: April 06, 2009 11:10AM

So I talked the wife into allowing me to convert the upstairs in a rod room. The space is 8 x 16. How would you seasoned pros layout the ultimate work area? Any "dusty" tasks will still be done in the garage so it will be just for wrapping, finishing, and assembly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Work Area
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2009 11:47AM

The RodMaker office rod building room is 10x20, so it's similar in size and layout. Consult the magazine article we did on the shop, with all the photos. It will give you some ideas.

You'll do well to put long, narrow benches down each long wall. You might stop short on one side to allow for rod racks and vertical bins, that sort of thing. Don't overlook the ceiling - drop down racks and overhead rod rotation devices can be kept and used there without giving up any floor space.

Date: April 06, 2009 11:56AM

What issue was that in?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2009 12:06PM

Volume 11 #3.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 06, 2009 12:44PM

Don't forget to think very seriously about an adequate ventilation system for the new room.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 02:52PM

Mitch,

Give plenty of thought to your electrical and lighting needs.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 06, 2009 04:10PM

What height is the ceiling? Depending on the length of rods you work on and the ceiling height (I know a lot of rooms like that have slated celings, etc) you may consider rod blank storage on the ceiling as well. One more thing up and out of the way and the rod always is horizontal.

Don't install a ceiling fan - stirs dust and rod tips hate them.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 04:58PM

Mitch,
Light - light, and more light.
Nothing worse than trying to detail work with poor lighting.

When I redid my work area, I put 2X4 florescent fixtures every two feet. That meant that there was no more than 20 inches between any light source. Much better to have a very very uniform lighting of a relatively lower level, than super hot bright spots in only a few areas.

Then, when you need super light for certain areas, like your wrapper, use task lighting for just those areas.

Long narrow benches around the room are a great idea. Plus a central assembly area in the center - possibly fold up or portable also works very well.

When redoing the room, don't overlook lots of outlets at frequent intervals. You never know where and when you need more power.

Also, the ability to have special room heat is a great idea. That way, if you want to dry a bunch of rods at the same time, you can simply raise the overall room tempterature and use the entire room for a dryer if needed.

If you have a window with a plesant view - it is nice to have that area for your primary wrapping area. You will likely spend a lot of time in the wrapping area, and it is nice to do it in front of a window with a plesant view to rest your eyes from time to time.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 05:03PM

ps.
In a new area, a nice way to make long narrow work benches is to get common kitchen counter tops with rounded front edges. Get tops that are long enough for an entire wall - if you plan to go this way.
Before bringing it home - have the home store rip the counter top to the width that works for your area.
If you want to use the full depth - go for it. However, most wrapping tables seldom need depths any greater than about 18 - 20 inches. So, if you want it this width - just have it ripped off the back of the counter top.
Then, simply mount a 2X2 or 2X4 on the back wall, and rest the back edge of the counter top on the ledge to support it. The nice way to support the front is with wall mounted knee braces to allow for full end to end movement without having any issues with leg or foot room.

Some folks recommend putting drawers under counter tops, but I normally don't like that since it doesn't allow for any leg room under the work bench if you want to work on its full length from a sitting position.

If you do all of your work from a standing position, then the use of space under the work bench is less critical.

Good luck and enjoy your new project.

Roger

Date: April 06, 2009 05:06PM

Thanks for all the input. The ceilings are slanted witch is the only down fall to the workspace. I was going to use overhead PVC tubes for blank storage. The only other problem is that the upstairs is about 10 degrees colder then the rest of the house.. Do you think a dryer box would work better then a space heater?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2009 10:11AM

I installed a direct vent gas stove in my rod room when we built the new room over the garage. It's a great and quick source of heat and most come with a remote thermostat. It does take some space so a free standing space heater may do the trick for you.

One long bench along a 22' wall and an assembly area in the middle. Works great.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster