I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Suggestion for Bait Casting Rod
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 10:17AM

It's been forever since I've built a bait casting rod and I have a few questions.
First, I fish mainly for smallmouth on med. to small rivers here in the semi-midwest (Ohio) and would like to use the baitcaster for throwing buzzbaits, spinnerbaits & such. I've pretty much decided on the blank. But, I have a question about guides and set-up. I was thinking of using the spiral wrap and was wondering if this would be a good idea on this type of rod? Also, I was thinking of using single foot, low profile guides. Is this too weird? Does it provide any benefit other than a bit of reduced weight? Or, would they be a hinderance in some way to the spiral wrap? I won't ask about the spiral wrap bcs I'm pretty sure the technique is covered in depth on this forum . Mostly curious about guides.
Thanks guys,
Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Suggestion for Bait Casting Rod
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 10:30AM

Todd-
Look several posts down the page-question about micro guides and spiral wrapping. Along with technique, guide sizes are discussed at length in the links Steve Gardner suggested. Probably where you could access the most information in the fastest manner.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2009 10:36AM

The spiral wrap is almost always a good idea, since that's where the guides want to be in the first place. Tape up a set of guides on top of your casting rod and then go out and use it a bit. They'll end up all spinning to the bottom. That's where they want to be.

Single foot guides will work fine.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 12:27AM

I just finished up a casting rod for just such a purpose. I built it on a SCIV extra fast tip rod with all Micro's. the blank is 6'10" and I used 9 micro guides all on top. I tested several different guide spacings, in the end I was able to keep the line off of the blank under load and the trick was to push the stripper guide up as far as I could. I used a #5 micro for a stripper and then stepped down to 4.5 , 4.0 and then 3's the rest of the way. I probably could have gone 3"s the entire way. This thing casted like a rocket. I was able to almost cast out the entire spool on the reel. I can't see myself building casting rods with anything other than micro guides. The action that these light weight guides offer to a quality rod blank are amazing. I actually got goose bumbs when I casted this rod for the 1st time. I just wish I was building it for myself.

P.S I ordered the same blank for myself so I could have one too.

Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 03:46PM

One the one for "Mr. Self" use the same size guides all the way out and the bumps will grow to Gander Size when chunked! Then you can use your new holo decal paper for a "Gander Moon Rocket" split grip dress up! Let me know and I will set up a jpeg for you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster