I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork filler
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 10:02AM

I know there is a recipe to make your own cork filler but I couldn't come up with anything using the search function. Can anybody help me out here? I have a bunch of cork dust that I saved from shaping a split grip, what do I mix it with?
Thank you,
Steve Chontos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork filler
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2009 10:40AM

Many years ago folks would often mix cork dust with Duco Cement. It works okay.

Other guys these days are using wood putty in a color that matches their cork.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2009 11:18AM

Steve, We offer a product we call PitPaste. We think it is the best available out there and matches very well to natural cork. We invite you to give it a try. It is not up on our site yet so please call to get some. It is available in 1 and 2oz sizes. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.br1.davs.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 12:09PM

I can vouch for Pit Paste, It's good stuff. I got a sample when Andy was first introducing it.

Bill in WV

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 12:36PM

Hope it has improved some. Mine got hard as a rock in the jar in a month..

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2009 01:47PM

I have had some in jars now for 2 months and it is still as good as new. Thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 05:32PM

Steve,
One of the suppliers was selling a cork filler which I purchased.
I found that it was Elmers wood filler - water based, that was colored honey oak.

After using it, I found that it worked as well or better than any other filler I had ever used.
So, now, I just go to the local lumber yard and pick up the Elmers Wood filler and it works very well.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 05, 2009 05:48PM

Sand a piece of cork down mix with PVA glue to a THICK paste and "paste" it into the gaps when dry sand it down if you use the same cork as you did for the grip (CATCH THE SANDING DUST AS YOU DO IT) then you have basically all the same material no visable joins or fissures (and yes it does hold up in water when dry and yes it does take stain or oil the pva glue is just a binder)
Cabinate makers do it all the time (instead of using plastic wood filler.....Plus its cheaper)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2009 05:49PM by allen forsdyke.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 05:48PM

You can mix some cork dust with rod bond or rod finish epoxy to make a paste. Work it into the voids you want to fill and leave the fill a bit proud of the grip for later sanding back smooth. The finished plug is just a little darker so you may want to add a very small amount of white to the paste, NOT much.
Put a few rings of not so pretty cork on a stick to make a grip for practice to get the feel of what you are after. When you feel a bit more confident in the method work on the grip of concern.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 07:18PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I had some of the Elmers Wood Filler here so I tried it. I have not got to sand it down yet but it looks really good.
Thanks again for the advice,

Steve Chontos

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 09:42PM

Steve,
Before sanding the filler, after letting it dry - take a rag or paper towel that is wetted well with alchol and give the cork a good rub down.
For the most part, you will be able to wipe away the excess filler with minimal sanding.
Try to this first, before sanding to minimize the amount of sanding required.

If you use a cork filler with many cements, you can do the same thing, by using acetone in the rag - rather than alchol to level the filler before sanding.

Try to minimize sanding, because many times, it is a bit tough to do much sanding on filler and handle - without upsetting the overall contours of the handle.

Roger

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: April 06, 2009 02:16AM

I would go with PitPaste, as a ready made filler.

My mate, Russ Pollack, sent me a sample some time ago and I am pretty impressed with the product.

Thanks Russ.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2009 02:17AM by paul.fannon.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.153.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 10:28PM

I don't believe in filler, I've never seen a filled grip that didn't lose the filler after a few outings. Anything you mix with a binder or that has a binder in it will be harder than the surrounding natural cork and will eventually work it's way out from the difference in expansion and from compression when the rod is used. Use the best cork you can find and justify the expense for and don't apologize for it, it's a natural material and nature makes it as good as it needs to be.
john

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: April 07, 2009 06:59AM

The filler I used sanded alright but sunk down in the middle and needed a second coat. Once complete, it did not look good to me, the color didn't match. The rod was my own so I'll keep an eye on the filler and see if it eventually comes out.
I have been building split grip rods for my customers and making each piece from a single cork grip by splitting it where I need it and sanding the cork to the desired shape. Moving forward, I think it would be best for me to purchase the split grip sets that are already pre-formed and build with those. Way less time consuming, better looking and not too much more expensive.
Thanks again to all for your advice,

Steve Chontos

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster