I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank question
Posted by: charles fasano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 11:02AM

I purchased a st. croix 3sw76mf. Starting approx. 12 inches from the tip I can see what looks like the material wrapping over itself. I may not have described what I am seeing so you guys can understand what I am seeing, so please ask questions. I am just starting this rod building thing so I don't know if this is normal. I have never noticed this on any store bought rods I've purchased.
thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank question
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 11:17AM

Is the surface of the blank not smooth?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2009 02:05PM

When blanks come out of the oven, the cellophane wrap is removed and will reveal spiral ridges left from the flowed resin. Years ago, many companies didn't even bother to sand it - the blanks were delivered and made into rods with the ridges intact. Most are now sanded smooth, although on slim, thin walled graphite blanks they go real easy and you might still see some slight ridges.

I would ask you this, however, are you sure you have a St. Croix blank? Did it come in packaging with the factory header card and decal?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.br1.davs.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 04:21PM

Tom's right, you may have gotten a forged blank. Read his article in the LIBRARY section inthe black area above.

Bill in WV

Date: April 04, 2009 04:38PM

Tom,
I think you have described what I'm seeing. I believe the blank is genuine, I bought it at the convention in Feb. I watched the st. croix rep. pull it from his display to supply the retailer. Know that I understand the blank, would you use it to build on? Will this effect the blanks performance or is it strickly cosmetic? As I said earlier, I am just starting and this rod is for my personal use but I would be uncomfortable presenting this blank to a customer.
thanks again.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2009 04:42PM

Okay, with that information it is certainly genuine.

What you're probably seeing is that area where they were careful not to sand very deeply for fear of getting into the outer layers of fiber. I assume it's on or near the tip area?

It will be fine for use. If for some reason you feel the cosmetics are terrible (something that is noticeable by anyone even at a few feet - a real sore thumb) you can return it. But I doubt it's that bad. Is it?

Date: April 04, 2009 05:03PM

Since it will not be a performance issue, I think I'll use it. The blemish is quite apparent. Relatively inexpensive lesson-I will do a more thorough inspection before future purchases.
Thank you guys very much for the help. I'm sure many more questions will follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2009 07:50PM by charles fasano.

Posted by: joseph p sanchez (---.sub-75-211-205.myvzw.com)
Date: April 04, 2009 09:54PM

hey, im new to this i have many rods the one thing that i allway notice after i get the rod is that they are all made in china, and yes some rods work realy well the performance is outstanding , but,i just i would love truly a american made fishing rod,so i said i wil just have to craft it my self..so now i am all over the net trying to get blank who can we trust please help..... thank you......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster