I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How tight is tight enough????
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 03:04AM

Hello Everybody,

A friend of mine which is a professional rod wrapper brought this up to me and I just wanted to get your input on it.

He said that I shouldn't wrap my thread too tight because it may crush and weaken the blank. In which case I have a question for all of you.

How tight should I wrap my thread on to my guides and how should I determine the correct tightness and if it is too tight?

Have any of you had a bad experience due to too tight of thread wrapped onto the guide and weakened the blank in that spot?

Thanks everybody for your inputs,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How tight is tight enough????
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.bnl.gov)
Date: April 04, 2009 04:05AM

Tony,

You should wrap snugly. After the wrap is finished, you should be able to move the guide with your fingers, if you can't move it, then your wraps are too tight.

Joe

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 04, 2009 04:55AM

when the thread snaps is too tight when guisde faalls off to loose
Lots of varients there was a really techy bit on here a couple of years back somthing about 1--2 lbs of pressure if memory serves but tom would be the better man to say

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2009 07:35AM

Tony;
Follow Joe's advice.
Yes I have damaged a blank by wrapping to tight

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2009 08:08AM

This is primarily important on thin walled graphite blanks. After being wrapped, slight pressure should cause a guide to move a tad. If you can't move it without great pressure, it's too tight. If it slips and slides easily under the thread, it's too loose.

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: April 04, 2009 11:00AM

Rods do break - unfortuently) - - - if exactly at guide wrap - - - coincidence ? ? ? or
wrap too tight which weakened blank ? ? ? Only seen one in many years.

jocko

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 10:49PM

I was told by an old rod builder that when the blank bends it goes from round to oval shaped ,restricting this shape change can result in breakage ie being wrapped too tight (not like me).

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: April 06, 2009 05:53AM

The only time I have known of wraps being too tight, was on the older, thin walled fibreglass blanks of many years ago.

You could compress these blanks by wrapping too tightly. But you knew if you did that because the guide would not move at all for alighnment.

Really, I think it comes down to practice and becoming familiar with the feel of your thread tension.

Todays blanks are much better than the blanks I started with in the 60's. I very much doubt you could damage a modern blank by over tension. You are more likey to break a thread first.
Having said that and referring to my comment above, practice your wrapps till you are happy with what you are achieving.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 06, 2009 10:53PM

Well......threadless wrap exerts no pressure on the thin walls when its static....

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster