I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is Hypalon superior to EVA?
Posted by: Joe Johnson (67.50.47.---)
Date: April 02, 2009 06:15PM

I've read that Hypalon is superior to EVA as a handle material. It was part of an article written about Yammamoter spinning rods. My question is: "why what's the difference?" I can't seem to find any reliable information on this.

Thanks

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Hypalon superior to EVA?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 07:43PM

ITs' more durable and resistant to denting and getting dinged up. IT's also quite heavier and softer/spongier than EVA. Both have theri applications

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 08:17PM

"Superior" is very subjective. Like Billy said, it all depends on what proporties suite
the project at hand.

That said, someone once told me that they wouldn't sell EVA to an enemy let alone
a valued customer. This came from a mostly "salt" guy and Hypalon does have better
proporties suited for the abuse that inshore & offshore guys dish out.
EVA is better suited for lighter fresh water applications.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 08:48PM

Hypalon grip surfaces when wet are easier to hold secure - non slip -

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 11:22PM

Funny how regional certain products are. I have EVA on a ton of my own rods, and it is requested by far more than Hypalon. Hypalon is looked down upon by most Inshore SW guys, because it weighs so much and a lot of people do not like of feel of it. Personally, I like how it feels as long as it's not really soft, and on some of my rods I'll use an EVA butt grip & Hypalon foregrip.

Posted by: Jim Lueck (---.89.167.154.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 07:18AM

I think hypalon is probably a more durable material and I use it when I want just a single color grip on a heavier rod. EVA is much easier to work (sand and shape) than hypalon and a bit lighter. When using spacers or diagonal insert spacers to dress up foam grips, I'll use EVA only. For me the finished cut on EVA is much cleaner when doing diagonal cuts, and is a lot easier to shape when making multi-section glued-up grip handles. Hypalon can be shaped and tapered but eva is easier and the difference in durability is an acceptable trade off for me, especially when making sectionals.Like Bill says, with slimy/wet hands, hypalon seems easier to get a secure grip, with it's textured surface.

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: April 03, 2009 08:46AM

I like hypalon for heavier saltwater rods where there is a tendency to have a death grip on the rod fighting a big fish. It is much easier on your hands than EVA which is less forgiving.

I like EVA for fresh water applications as it is light and easy to work with.

It's in the middle that things get interesting. I surf fish a bit, where there is a good chance the grip will get wet, as well as a chance for a big fish. But when you cast a lot, the Hypalon weighs a lot, which is a bad thing. I recently came up with a compromise on a split grip surf rod: Hypalon foregrip where it counts. Eva below the reelseat for weight, and Hypalon on the butt for balance. It worked out nicely.

Whit

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 09:05AM

Like mentioned, it's heavier, however, using hypalon in SMALL grips on freshwater bass rods does very well. I like using it and I like the grip it gives the angler as well: [www.rodbuilding.org] Those grips are 1" long, and have an EVA butt cap. Weight is just not a big issue when used this way.

DR

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: April 03, 2009 10:33AM

I guess I have to be the opposing opinion here. I haven't used hypalon since finding EVA. And strangely, my reason for preferring EVA is that it doesn't compress as much as hypalon. I build mostly stand-up rods and my hand gets tired faster with hypalon when pulling on a heavy fish than with EVA due to the compression. I even use EVA on heavy weight fly rods (12 weight plus) because it doesn't get slippery with sweaty hands like cork does and weighs about the same.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (67.50.47.---)
Date: April 03, 2009 03:43PM

I appreciate the answers. That's the kind of insight i was looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster